Part 20

It was the day of the races. To be completely honest, Rosella was in shock that she was even coming.

Her brothers-on a usual day- wanted her no where near the business until she promptly grew up and was at the appropriate age to start working.

She was pissy about this, as Finn (who is at the young age of 11) already runs circles around the peaky lads- albeit he gets into shit for it- and is allowed to go on small errands.

But, if all she had to do was wear a dress to be able to be apart of whatever this was, she'd do it.

The sun had barley greeted the sky when Aunt Polly entered the girls bedroom. She had shaken Rose awake and grabbed the dress.

"You'd better keep this in good condition" she had been warned.

Her aunt did her hair, perfect ringlets falling down her back. She also added some charcoal around her water line and soft pink lipstick to her lips.

"Jesus Pol, it's only the races" Rose had complained, pretending that she wasn't even remotely thrilled at the fact that she looked...well she looked beautiful.

"You need to look the part if you are to play it" Polly said, smoothing her hair out of her eyes "you look darling"

Rose stood up and walked downstairs. This whole makeover had made her tremendously hungry, scoffing her bread and jam down her throat before any pleasantries could be passed through the family.

Sitting at the dining room table, she finally noticed the quiet. She glanced up, slowly, fluttering her eyelashes slightly as she did so.

All of her brothers held shocked gazes, some more obvious than others.

"What?" Rose spat at them, reasoning her eyebrows in a 'go on' motion.

"Fucking hell, get changed" Arthur said, shaking his head.

Rose looked shocked "what! Why?"

"You look no short of 18, that's why" John said, clearly thinking the same as Arthur.

"She'll do no such thing" Polly said, placing her hands on Rose's shoulders and giving a gentle squeeze "she looks amazing, she looks the part, she'll be perfect"

"Pol, the lads will have her up against a wall if they see her like that!" John tried arguing, pointing at his sister whilst saying so.

Rose simply sighed and rolled her eyes "you're all pigs. Any guy tries touching me and I'll chop his fucking hands off"

For once, she didn't get reprimanded for her language. "She's right. Any man, blinder or not, goes near our sister and he's dead. Am I clear?" Tommy said.

"Too right" Arthur nodded, securing his peaky hat on his head.

John still huffed, not liking the way his youngest sister looked older than she was. He wouldn't admit it, but he was saddened by the thought of his baby sister not being-well- a baby any more.

He still remembers her childish face the day they left for the war. How they were slightly chubby and red stained with tears. How short she was, how she depended on them.

But now? Rosella Shelby was blossoming into a beautiful young woman. And all John could do, was sit back and watch. And hopefully scare of the entirety of the male species that followed after her.

Finn came running through the door, stopping short as he glanced at his big sister. His eyes widened in shock at the state of her "you look like a girl" he commented.

Rose scrunched up her eyebrows "I am a girl, Finn"

He shrugged "could've fooled me. Anyways, cars are out front Tom"

Tommy stood up "let's go to the races"

The rest stood too, sauntering out of the door and into their respective cars. Tommy laid a hand on both of his brothers shoulders.

"You both watch her, and the people around her. No one touches, alright?"

"Alright" the both echoed.