Part 23

Rose was picking at her nails when the boys headed back to the van. She sighed in relief as she saw them, though that relief turned into anger as she saw crimson trickling down their chins, Cheshire grins on their faces.

John hopped it, plopping down next to his sister, nostrils flaring ever so slightly as he took her in.

"Where the fuck did you get of to?" He asked her, voice lowered so the other lads didn't hear.

She shot him a sarcastic smile "wouldn't you like to know"

He shook his head, taking the toothpick out of his mouth. She rolled her eyes; he was trying to intimidate her and it wasn't working.

"If Tom finds out that you ran of-"

She elbowed him "make sure he doesn't find out then"

He just sighed, lowering his head to put between his knees. He rubbed his face, an irritated rumble in his throat.

"I was worried shitless too, yano. Anything could've happened"

Rose's eyes dropped then, ever so slightly. She knew the sort of business her family got up to, and if the wrong sort of person saw her wandering about...John was right. Anything could've happened. But they shouldn't have to think like that. She would be able to just enjoy a nice day at the races.

"All I did was place a bet, like a normal lady. I'm not going to say sorry for that" she spoke, though John understood, simply pushing her shoulder with his. The tense atmosphere vaporising as a teasing one condensed.

"Hm, proper lady my arse. Who'd you bet on?" He grinned, toothpick back in mouth.

She grinned "Widow Rider, won 10 quid"

"Lucky sod"

With a sly grin, she turned her head back in front of her. Finn sat there, eyebrows raised as if he knew what she had done; those sea breezy eyes piercing into her own with such an uncomfortable intensity she had to kick him in his shin to get him to stop.

"Ow! What was that for?" He squeaked in pain, his leg clutched to his chest as his face scrunched up.

She bit back at him "stop bloody staring then"

All he did was stick his tongue out, rolling his eyes and turning back to look at Arthur. Causing Rose to sigh, and pray that he hadn't caught her in her act. The little shit would blackmail her dry.

The ride back to Birmingham was a bumpy on, though Rose fell asleep on John's shoulder all the same. Soft snores falling out of her nose, pink lips slightly parted as her cheek was squished on his shoulder blade, finally comfortable after a stressful setting.

She had had a long day, longer than she thought. She was exhausted. Rosella realised that being a lady was quite hard and it wasn't a job she would likely want again.

So it wasn't too surprising her exhaustion hit so soon, not caring if her slight makeup rubbed of on her brothers jacket.

Arthur nodded his head at his sister "where'd she get of to then, John?"

John looked down at his sister softly before answering "placed a bet s'all."

Arthur nodded in understanding "right, we'll not tell Tommy that then- he'll hang us by the balls"

John grinned "too right"

When the van stopped outside of 6 Watery Lane, the two older Shelby brothers didn't wake her. Instead, John carried her inside the house bridal style, whilst Arthur carried a snoring Finn also.

He carried her to her room and set her down gently, he took her shoes of and placed them by her door, pulling up the thin linen blanket and tucking her in; his parental, nurturing side came out, forcing him to realise how much he did miss his children and reminding him that he should probably get back to them soon.

Just as he was about to exit the shoebox room, her small voice stopped him.

"John?" She whispered into the night, brain hazy with sleep still.

"Yeah?" He whispered back into the darkness, his voice carried away by the shadows separating the two siblings.

" 'm sorry for worrying you" she told him, though most of it was muffled by a stretched yawn, her head laying tiredly on her pillow, her hair sprawled out like moss on the jungle floor.

Her brother shook his head with a small laugh "don't worry about it, Rosie. You're alright"