Part 15

Walking into Charlie's Yard, Rose made a beeline for the stables. She waltzed in, smiling at the other horses before making her way to the back.

May stood proud, walking over to Rose as she entered, running her nose into the girls shoulder.

"Hiya girl, I know you missed me" she laughed, patting the side of her "let's get you tacked up"

Grabbing the saddle pad and saddle, Rose began to tack May up. Curly had done her a solid by grooming the horse shortly before she arrived, if only to save her some much needed time.

Placing the bridal and reins on, May was ready and rearing to go. Jumping on, Rose walked her out of the stable.

"Be back before dark" her uncle called, watching her from his outdoor desk.

She rolled her eyes, laughing nonetheless "of course, uncle Charlie"

Kicking to start her to a trot, she rode out of Small Heath and into the country lanes. She welcomed the clean air, signing in content as she felt the wind brush through her hair.

Leaning her head back and looking to the sky, she saw a vibrant blue rather than the usual downturn grey.

It was safe to say that Rosella Shelby adored the country. The city was home, yes, but when she was out in the fields and salty air, her gypsy blood screamed with joy. Who was she to ignore a calling?

The horses hooves galloped through the grass, Rose feeling like she was dancing in air. She had no worries out here. Out here, she was free.

Eventually though, it was time to turn back. The sky was darkening and the air was chilling. Thankfully, she arrived before dark, Charlie putting the horse away and sending her back of home.

Instead though, she made a beeline for the Garrison. People moved out the way at the sight of her, some uttering a 'sorry, miss Shelby', Rose simply rolling her eyes at them but smiling in thanks nonetheless.

She pushed the heavy doors open, the loud bustle of men thrown her way. She laughed as she saw them, swaying and singing, dopey smiles on their faces.

The war was in the past, yes. But to many of the Garrison boys; it still lingered. In their eyes, in their sleep, in their dreams and in their very souls and minds. But to finally see them letting go a little, if only for the night, it was refreshing.

She swaggered up to the bar, sitting down on the wooden stool.

"Glass of whiskey, Harry" she smiled at the barman.

Although, her smile slipped off as he shook his head "Tommy's told me I'm not allowed to serve you no more"

She scoffed "this pub is under the Shelby name now...I'm a Shelby"

He lightly smiled at her "sorry, Rosie. No can do"

She groaned and placed her head on the bar, hearing his footsteps wonder away. She lightly lifted her head of, peeking at him serving a drunken fool by the edge of the bar before she snatched the first bottle she could get her hands on.

She slipped of the stool and made it to the back room-not the snug though, John was in there with Finn and Arthur and she didn't want a lecture from none of them.

Plopping herself in one of the booths, she pulled the cork of the bottle and drank from the neck.

She grimaced, realising it was dark rum. It wasn't her favourite, but she shrugged and continued to drink.

After her third, maybe fourth, swig of the alcohol, she placed the bottle down and glanced up at the clock. She didn't dare drink more, not until-

"Don't tell me you got pissed without me" came a voice from her left.

She smiled, cheekily "course not, Hartford. Saved you some"

He grinned, plopping next to her "how'd you snatch this up then?"

"Exactly that, I snatched it. Harry refused to serve me"

"I don't blame him, you alcoholic"

A punch to his shoulder had him laughing, taking a big swig from the bottle himself.

"Why'd you get rum? You don't even like rum?" He questioned.

"Sorry I didn't have enough time to read all of the bottles" she sarcastically said, snatching the bottle of him.

He just laughed, snatching it back and taking a gulp, burping afterwards.

"Dirty sod" she grimaced.

He ignored her comment "you smell like shit"

"Thanks, that's exactly what every lady wants to hear" with rolled eyes.

"Because you're a lady?" He scoffed.

"I was riding, didn't have time to bathe"

"Dirty sod" he mocked her.

After the entire bottle was rendered dry, the two stumbled out of the pub in a fit of giggles, not being able to walk in a straight line.

James, somehow, landed on the floor, rolling in his back and holding his stomach as he laughed.

Rose squatted, too overcome with laughs to stand straight, pointing at James as she tried to recollect herself.

"You idiot" she bellowed, tears running down her face as she laughed so much.

He wheezed, spluttering as he winded himself.

A cough interrupted them "let's get you two fuckers home before Pol has us by the balls"

Looking up, she saw two Johns. Her eyes widened "there's two of you"

He rolled his eyes and pulled James up by the arm and Rose by the underarms.

"Shut up and get walking"