Part 28

Departing from James, the boy in question muttering about having to fetch bread for his mum, Rose made her way to the warehouse- in search for a particular boy named Zane. The two hadn't seen much of each other, hectic lives overcrowding an already busy schedule. And even if Rose didn't want to admit it, after the whole gun incident, she was hesitant to see him. She was hesitant to walk into the warehouse unannounced and be faced with a bullet. But- but Shelby's didn't have fears, right? So, instead of confronting her very loud and obnoxious mind, she shut it off and let her feet carry her.

Huge steel doors kept her out, vines winding up the side, acting as an extra sense of protection-as thick as prison bars. With all of her might, she pushed her weight onto the balls of her feet and shoved the door sideways to let herself in. Her soiled boots made footprints in the dust, marking where she had been and where she was going as she wandered the mostly empty space for her friend.

"Zane!" Her voice echoed through the darkness, flowing through the entire warehouse in search for him.

There was no response, only silence met her ears- only the sound of her heavy breathing prominent in the lonely area. She sighed and rolled her neck, cracking it, before she left-leaving the door as she found out.

And as she walked the streets of Small Heath, she couldn't find it in herself to care for Zane's disappearance, not when Arthur locked his arm around her head and dragged her into the betting den.

"Get off me, you big oath!" She squeaked, shoving his arm of her and punching him in the ribs. Arthur just laughed, moving them over to stand by John.

"Ah, you found the escapee then, eh?" John smirked, looking down at Rose with that horridly annoying toothpick between his lips.

"Escapee?" She questioned.

"I could see you climbing out of your bedroom window, Rosie. Gotta be more careful next time" he told her, winking with secrets.

She raised her eyebrows "you ain't gonna tell Aunt Pol? Or Tommy?"

He raised his eyebrows back "unless you're doing something you aren't meant to, then no. I'm not a snitch"

She nodded her head at him "fair enough"

The chatter around them simmered down as Thomas entered the room, standing before the black board with a sheet of paper in his hands.

"Gentlemen" he started, then realising the women of the house "and ladies...

...I have in my hand a legal betting license. Issued by the board of control. The Shelby family has its first legal racetrack pitch."

A pure smile. One that Tommy had hidden from the world, reserved for very few and very special, suddenly shined on his face. As his lips twitched up, as he smiled at his family, the cheering began. But Rose just stared at her older brother, she stared at him as if she was filling this moment into a cabinet in the back of her mind. She supposed she was. Because this moment, she wanted to keep close to her heart. She wanted to remember every single detail- from the way her family cheered for this small victory to the way Tommy's face held youthful hope. It was a rare sight. And Rosella would be  damned if she was to forget it.

"We're in business, Pol" she heard Tommy say. Polly smiled at her nephew. But Rose noticed her aunts apprehensiveness, it unnerved her slightly.

Rose pushed herself between them, into Tommy's eye line. He raised his eyebrows at her, his blue eyes unmoving as they stared at her.

"Congratulations, brother" she smiled at him. A smug grin adored his face this time- not a smile, a grin. And Rose internally deflated. This was when she started to realise he must've done something to acquire the betting license. Or rather, from someone.

"Thank you, Rose" he replied back, as he watched her slowly piece together what was truly happening. What this actually meant. And for a second, Rose regretted thinking Tommy could still be pure. But either way, she plastered a smile on her face, walked away, and celebrated with the men of her family that didn't lie to her face.