Consequences

Hell.

It's a word with many meanings, and honestly, all of them can apply to my current situation.

Laying on the floor right in front of the castle of Pride, with some pebbles probably marking my back and my clothes being completely covered in ash, I have been thinking for the past hour or so. I don't know. Time is weird here.

Some pride demons float past me - or walk, since lots of them have physical bodies - giving me mean looks. They're not like human looks, but you can tell they are rude. They cannot judge. They should have more important things to do.

Back to thinking - what can I do?

I can't wait for someone to come get me out of here. The wizards would get hurt, Victoire is afraid of this place, and Barney might just be drunk. I have to do something.

Demon portals are most definitely blocked, and even if they weren't, I never learned how to make one.

The sling ring. It is still around my fingers, and, according to the book on portalling, it should be able to open interdimensional doors.

Quickly, I stand up, and get in place to create one. Left hand up, right hand following an anticlockwise movement.

It does not work.

There are barely some weak sparks before the portal dies out. I try again three times, confirming that it is not a problem with me, but with this place.

—Damn it! —what can I even do in here?

A whisper right next to my ear teases me. —Quod magicae non operatur hic. —this magic will not work here.

I turn my head, and a humanoid pride demon is standing maybe too close to me, —Why? —

—Maleficos. —wizards. They do something like a shrug. —Hic non receperint. —they are not welcome here. —Utere tuo magicae-—

—My magic? Do you mean dark magick? —

They nod. —Immo. —

It does make sense that no magic works here like the one used by demons, especially after the closing of Hell. It isn't that useful right now, though - what is the point of having only demonic powers, when everyone who surrounds you also has such abilities?

Bored, I stick my hand out. Creating a flame is swifter than ever. I suppose magick is smoother here.

—Sentis potestatem? —

Of course I feel the power. But I also know what they are trying to do.

Pride demons are very tentative. Sure, all demons have to at least try to tempt others, but the house of Pride has a natural talent. It was a pride demon who tried to tempt the son of Yahweh, just like many other figures considered "holy". Their tricks might be unknown to some, but for me, they are very predictable.

I sigh. —Shut up. —

Leaving the demon behind, I start walking on the opposite way to the castle of Pride. There has to be something interesting around here I can use to get out. I keep my eyes looking forward, well aware the demon is still following me, now joined by others.

—Sumus potentiores illis. —we are more powerful than them, one of them whispers, having reached my side, while looking at lonely demons from other houses walking past us. —Tu potentior illis. —you are more powerful, they assure. —Hic plus potentiae habes quam in terra... —you have more power here than on Earth,