Epilogue: The Three Things a God Requires

Even though Loki Laufeyson was not particularly a king of his word, and was biologically a giant, the citizens of Asgard trusted his rule. They believed in his questionable decisions and were sure of his potential as the god they called him.

Meanwhile Sabrina, not particularly a queen of Her word either, was not considered much of a god by Her demon peers.

So what makes a god?

I now believe the status of god can only be granted by others.

A man doesn't need power to become a deity, yet being one gives him power. Most importantly, the power (whether it's magical or just political) comes from the people that believe in the man out of necessity. And a god without believers is nothing but a being without a purpose.

To put it simply, having believers gives the god power he must use to perform miracles for them, if he wants to keep the cycle going.

So the man is not a god until the believer thinks he is.

Both Loki and Sabrina had believers.

Both Loki and Sabrina enjoyed a great amount of power because of their following. Their influence was strong and their magic mighty.

Did they use their power to help their believers?

Yes. Yes, they did. Though Loki worked for his kingdom and the few humans that believed in him, and Sabrina only worked for Her coven.

Therefore, they are only deities to those groups. Just like Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Ra, others, and their own believers.

Following the same logic, wouldn't that mean normal beings can be gods to other people, too?

Maybe.

Definitely.

Perhaps only I have this definition of the concept. It might be completely wrong. But as "god" is a status that isn't universally understood, it is the duty of each being to create their own meaning, just as they create their own gods.

What makes a man a god, if not ourselves?