Chapter 9: Limitation

Dark.

It's dark.

He cannot feel his body, none of his five senses were working. He wondered how his consciousness was still working. In this space time passed, but for how long? He didn't know, there was no sign of it ever ending. He was aware of nothing and so, he waited, and waited. But for what? It's as if he was waiting for something to happen or perhaps he just wanted for this to end, nonetheless he waited.

Alvaro's eyes shot wide open. He was greeted by a flash of colors. Being blinding him at the sudden sight he closed them as quickly as they opened. Slowly adjusting, he opened them to once again to see his fellow spirits floating.

W-what? D-didn't I die?

The feeling of how I died. My emotions. My thoughts. Everything felt so...real, it couldn't possibly be fake.

He struggled to comprehend his situation. It wasn't like the idea of returning by death was unbelievable. Of course, it shouldn't be possible, but this was a fantasy world. Many things that don't follow the logic of what he was accustomed to. But you see, that wasn't the cause of his denial. It was a much more simple reason.

Why me?

Out of all the people in the world, why had he been chosen to have this ability? An ability that would be able to have the world at his hands, why did it have to be him? In his eyes, he wasn't a person deserving of this, he couldn't use the ability to its fullest. He was a normal human in another world. He wasn't given anything to make the journey easier. He was a lone man against the world.

If someone else had this ability, they would definitely use it better than him. Not to mention that considering that everyone is more powerful than him and would be able to use that ability as another ability of countless they already possessed. Sure, the pain of dying would hurt, but people can just kill themselves without suffering. Plus they could do whatever they wanted.

Yet someone like me got the ability. What am I even supposed to do with it? I have nothing to strive for, so how should I use it? Do I even have the privilege to even use it? Such a broken ability is wasted on me.

And so, he lamented all of the deaths that would occur due to his incompetent self having the ability. Alvaro shook his head, this wasn't the time to think of such things. He needed to think of a way of getting out of this predicament.

However, he wasted all the time by sulking as if his life had not been in danger. Alvaro wasn't as lucky as to have the leisure to do that. As such, the only thing he could do is prepare for the attack.

"Get ready to attack," whispered Alvaro, motioning his left hand towards the entrance while his right hand took out the weapon.

The spirits nodded or an action that seemed like it as they all moved away from the entrance.

This isn't good, I'm panicking too much. If only I had a bit more time to calm myself!

The decision of attack is pretty stupid. Alvaro also knew that, yet he still chose that approach. Taking a deep breath, his eyesight was fixated at the entrance. He knew this was a futile attempt, but he couldn't give up now. He shoved away all of his thoughts, so that he could at least concentrate. He had many questions, but he knew now wasn't the right time to inquire about it.

The moment he caught a glimpse of them, the spirits fired their own spells one by one. The cave was shaped like a vase, with the narrow part being where the entrance was located.

As his hand hovered over his weapon, he proceeded to take it out, while the weapon was customized to his liking it didn't mean it somewhat resembled the rest of the cultist weapons. Alvaro stood there, not moving a single step. The last time he tried such a thing it didn't go as he expected, quite the opposite in fact.