Let Me Down Slowly : He Was Never Good At Keeping Promises

Summary :

Most people spend their Valentine's Day with the ones they love the most.

Most people..

Jay isn't most people though.

﹏🌹﹏

A green light and the beeping sound of Jay's intercom brought him out of his focused state. He placed the pencil he had been drawing with in between the pages of the book that lay on the coffee table in front of him.

He stretched for a second after he got up from the sofa he was sitting on and ran his fingers through his soft hair. He slightly winced at the sharp pain he felt at the small of his back, he had been sitting there for three hours, ever since he got to work but decided to ignore it with the insistent sounds that came from his desk.

"Speak to me"

"Sir, you have a delivery"

"From?"

"Anonymous?"

"Explain Suhyeok"

"Delivery guy says he was told not to say"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That it's technically unaddressed?"

"Security check"

"Done, it's clean", there was a beat of silence in the moment before he sighed.

"Fine, send it in"

"On it"

Less than a minute later, the doors of his office were swung wide open to reveal not one but a dozen uniformed men each pushing in trolleys with baskets full of roses. Jay frowned and watched as Suhyeok directed them to place the baskets in the windowed corner of his office.

As soon as they were gone Suhyeok walked up to him holding a bouquet of purple roses. He made no move to hold them and instead stared at him in question. Suhyeok only smiled wider and placed them in his hands before leaving.

Jay stared at them for a while, not knowing what to do. They were his favourite colour though, a large contrast to the red in the corner. He examined it for a while longer before he noticed a white piece of paper peaking out and picked it out. It was a small card that read..

Red is the colour of love
painted through the years we spent and still spend together

but Purple is both love & enchantment
coloured in your bright beautiful eyes and even if I'll never get the chance to see that,
I'll always remember how enchanted I am with you, from the day we met

Purple and Red
they mean I love you in different ways, words I wish to say to you every second of everyday
I hope you know that

I love you
and it's not just for today, it's for as long as we live or even longer, it's for eternity.

Happy Valentine's Day baby
I'm counting every minute I'm away from you 'til we see each other again

- 이희승, your husband

Jay smiled as his eyes glossed over.

Fucking Lee Heeseung, he thought, the only man that could get tears out of him.

He reached in the pocket of his trousers and pulled out his phone before dialing a number.

"Hello, how may I help you?", the voice said but there was an unmistakable hint of amusement laced into it.

"Lee Heeseung!", he yelled.

"Hey baby"

"Shut up", he grumbled, "what is the meaning of this?"

"Of what?"

"The roses, the note"

"How are you so sure it was me"

"It has your fucking name on it with your bigass ugly handwriting"

"Yah! I tried"

"I know, it's cute", he sniffled

"So why are you crying?"

"I'm not crying"

"Babe, you're sniffling and you're quiet"

"Shut up, I'm angry at you"

"Why?"

"Be-because now my surprise looks like shit next to yours"

"That was a nice breakfast"

"No it wasn't"

"It was, I promise, even Riki was happy about it"

"He's five, he's happy about everything"

"Fair point but it was cute"

"Cute.."

"Wait no, not just cute, it was lovely and really yummy and-"

"I'm coming up"

﹏🌹﹏

As soon as Jay made it to the top floor, holding the bouquet in one hand with a tiny smile on his face, everyone made way for him as he passed, sending each other knowing looks.

Without hesitation he opened the large black door of his husband's office and walked in, not forgetting to close the door, especially with the not-so-subtle eyes peaking in.

Heeseung perked up and smiled when Jay walked towards him.

"So did you like my surprise?", Jay shook his head at the sheepish grin on his face before he opened his arms for a hug.

"You liked it that much?"

"Kiss me"

﹏🌹﹏

"I love you and it's not just for today, it's for as long as we live or even longer, it's for eternity"

Jay lay in his bed and wondered why those words ran through his head, he wondered why now, why so many years later.

He sighed and blindly reached for his phone on his nightstand and turned it on.

03:47 a.m.
Mon, Feb 14.

"Happy Valentine's Day to me", his voice was just a whisper.

Oh, he thought, that's why.

"It's not just for today"

"It's for eternity"

He was never good at keeping promises.

﹏🌹﹏

• Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh