Sixteen.

Of all the people to arrive I least expected my father.

I thought I'd have to seek my parents out, but my father had found me. Dad had set his weapon down and offered me his hand.

Not that far from me Court had shifted and torn apart the one in front of me. He looked odd amongst everything. A giant brown wolf standing there in front of a torn apart body. He shifted back just as I accepted my dad's hand.

Dad pulled me up as Court put the remains of his clothes on and hurried over to me.

He didn't acknowledge my dad simply pushed past him and grasped my face between his two hands.

"Are you all right my love?"

"I'm fine Court, just shaken up." 

Court forced a smile on his face as he wiped away one of the tears that had formed in my eyes. He leaned forward and kissed me before letting go and turning to my dad.

Despite so little time passing he looked different. His hair had begun to grow shaggy, and his beard had started to grow. The oddest thing out would be the sword in his hand. My father never owned a sword.

Always axes.

They were cheaper to own and of more use to him. The only people in the village who owned swords were the guards and blacksmiths. Most of the guards used bows. They are much easier than crossbows and are long ranged unlike swords.

He had to have gotten this sword when he came to the cities.

"Thank you for saving her."

"She is my daughter."

Court glanced downstairs to the woman who were huddled together. I moved up behind him and clasped his hand in mine.

"What were they?" I asked.

Court looked over at me and then my dad.

"Skin changers. They're from the forest. They have intelligence as you can see but are very brutal." 

"I recognize him. He was one of the guards who led us to the cities. I don't understand how he'd be what you said he is." Dad turned over to Court.

"It's not him. That guard is dead, and his body disposed of somewhere. Skin changers don't have human appearances. They are long and look grey and walk on all fours. They're not confident either unless they are in packs or have people to hide behind. And they hate us wolf-shifters as well."

Court bent down to inspect the corpse.

"How did it look like him?" I asked.

"They take the skin of people they kill. Typically, humans, they gain their memories as well." Court answered.

"That's kind of creepy."

Court stood up and turned to me. "We should get going and dispose of this corpse. We just need to get our supplies and get ready to leave." 

"Are there more of these things out there?" My dad asked, butting into the conversation.

Court turned to him.

"Well of course there would be. They aren't exactly a small species." Court answered.

"So, there could be more out there hunting us?" Dad asked.

"They aren't hunting you; they're hunting Ruby and me. I mean they could be hunting humans but most of their issues would be with me. As I said they don't like wolf-shifters. We're their biggest enemy out there and one of the reasons they rarely take on forms that look human. They're jumping at the chance too."