Bonus Chapter: Court Claims Ruby

Court

A sacrifice. Every month the humans brought out sacrifices to us. They range from all sorts of livestock to the occasional item. It was payment for us keeping them safe from the creatures who hunt this forest. Not that any of them remember it.

If Xerxes never told me, I'd probably never know either.

This month the sacrifice would be different.

It's times like these that I hate being both a prince and a wolf-shifter. This sacrifice was unneeded. Sacrificing some young girl to the wolf-shifters is practically barbaric. We'd never demand something like that. Not even with how many females are left in our pack.

But my father, the adoptive human one, is paranoid. A death had come.

I vied so hard to tell him the guard died for being too far in the forest and drawing weapon on my pack mates but that would endanger me.

Now this poor girl has to pay.

Ruby. She was about my age with hair skin and long brown hair. She wore a red cloak most of the time reminding me of the stories my mother would tell me.

She was to be the sacrifice. Her family would be rewarded and brought closer but at the cost of their only daughter.

I had bid goodnight to my parents long ago before sneaking out to my brother's cabin.

Lyell and Xerxes were preparing for the sacrifice tonight. It was our packs turn to claim if first meaning we'd get first choice which consisted of the human and only a few animals.

We don't eat humans.

"You seem bothered Court." Xerxes commented.

"I am."

"Trouble with the parents?" Lyell asked with a grin.

He takes too much pleasure from me being raised by humans. But jokes on him I was put here for a higher purpose. I have a job to do one day. To unite us all. Or so it says.

"Just inner arguing."

I didn't fancy telling Lyell about the human girl who would be tied up for us to claim as part of the sacrifice. Like all males his age he has no mate. The only female our age was Lotus and Thorin; the other leader had claimed her. Once upon a time I might've considered her, but she became like a sister to me. And she loves Thorin.

"We should get ready to go." Xerxes said.

I stood up and followed the two outside. 

"I'll get the pack ready you two go check out the site." Xerxes told me.

Lyell grinned. I was hoping I'd be stuck with Xerxes when we went to collect tabs on the sacrifice, but I had been stuck with Lyell. Great.

I shed my clothes before shifting into my wolf form. Lyell followed in pursuit before he trotted after me. Our cabin is far out enough from the village that none of the people would know that the wolves who stalk this forest can also turn into humans.

They no doubt saw hyperintelligent wolves who were territorial. They didn't see us as wolf-shifters in an agreement with them.

The closer we got to the sacrifice site the more I could smell everything. You can always smell humans from the guards who would bring the sacrificial animals here. Lyell hasn't caught on to the scent of the lingering human.

I broke through the forest first into the site. A few chickens were scattered around a wooden post pecking at the grass. They began to scramble at Lyell and I's arrival.

Near the wooden post would be a pole where a girl is tied up. Ruby.

I met her when my father announced it to her at dinner. She wore the same red cloak as before and had her hands bound to the post.

She looked up and her eyes settled on Lyell and I walking through.

Lyell looked up startled at the sight of one of the humans at the site. The most you might see is a lingering guard who'd flee at the sight of us. You don't see humans tied to posts all readied up like Christmas dinner.

He looked over at me as his ears perked up.

He began walking up towards her before I surged forward and snapped at him. Lyell stumbled back and showed his teeth before I bit at him causing him to back off.

When we first met, I had gone head-to-head with Lyell the most. Despite being the youngest I am the leader of our pack due to me beating both Lyell and Xerxes. I only had to beat Xerxes once Lyell on the other hand kept coming back for more before I eventually put him on his back with my teeth at his throat.

Now he doesn't test me as much.

Lyell stalked away as I turned back to the girl. She had struggled a little bit especially when she saw me begin to approach. I jumped up near and looked at her.

Leaving her here would have Thorin no doubt ending her. Thorin isn't known for his fondness for humans. There really is no good outcome for her.

Even then some of my pack could come across her.

It's probably the human part of me that convinced me to do it. I saw the junction right between her shoulder and neck. This would be the only way to warn off the other wolf-shifters. None of them are keen on challenging those who are claimed.

Not that she'd understand it. 

It was stupid but it's all that ran through my mind.

In one moment, I jumped at her connecting my teeth to her shoulder as she let out a scream and began struggling against me.

Her struggle didn't last long before she passed out, whether it be from fear or pain I didn't know.

She slumped against the pole as I turned back to Lyell who stood hesitantly in the background watching me.

I took a look around the site making sure none of the humans were near before I shifted back.

I untied the ropes binding her before picking her up.

"Take a few chickens and leave the rest to Thorin. I'll make up for what we lost tonight." I told him.

Lyell didn't argue with me and instead chased some of the chickens.

I adjusted the girl in my arms and took a look down at her. It was stupid what I did. I mean claiming marks are no joke. I barely even knew this girl. Yet I put one on her to save her life.

I can't regret it now. I'm sure I can come around to enjoying her company. And I'm sure she'll come around to understand what I did. For now, I just need to get her back before any of my pack spots her.

1090. And that is Court's scene of claiming Ruby. As you can see it was a quick decision to claim Ruby one that sparked the rest of the events that happened. As you can tell they ended up falling in love. Court always knew it would happen, but he didn't push for it. I might do a few more snippets of Court's POV of him with Ruby. Tell me if you guys are interested in that. Consider it bonus content. ***

 ***