Twenty-Six.

Court had purchased some things from the city in terms of food. Nothing perishable since there isn't much to hide it in.

Once we have chests to bury in the dirt or in places covered in ice, we could store away more perishable items. For now, it was mostly just cooking meat.

However, there are a few cows here and some are milking cows which gives me access to milk.

I found some flour and sugar Court had bought in the city and decided to make pancakes. Pancakes didn't require any sort of oven, just a skillet which I could put into the fire. It's also something that is decently sweet. 

We lacked the delicious syrup my mom would get from the trees, but a pancake is a pancake, and I would take it over roasted, boiled meat, or soup any day of the week.

Even pasta sounded good which I'm sure I could find a way to make. I'm sure one of the humans here could've been a baker and could give me pointers on how to make pasta. I do know some basics, but I'd take any advice given to me.

If it improves any of my current recipes, I'd take it.

I whipped up the pancake batter before putting the pan onto the fire Court had lit for me before he left. Court spends lots of his days out in the meadow helping the humans as well as his pack. Being the leader had him all around the place.

With the arrival of the humans, he has been out more. I have also been out more.

I am the only human here who has experience with wolf-shifters. It was strange having people look up to me instead of being ignored.

I grew up with the only socialization being my parents. There would be a rare occasion of someone else coming close but most of the time it was just my parents.

Now it was everyone here.

I filled the pan up with pancake batter in sort of circle formation. It wasn't perfect but I didn't care, and I doubt Court would either. 

The pancake batter sizzled on the pan as I settled down in front of the fire with a spatula and one of Court's wooden plates. I watched the bubbles rise and crackle on the pancake surface before one side was done and I flipped it.

I filled up the plate with pancakes until I had scraped the last bits of pancake batter from the bowl and set it aside to wash out.

With my plate now full of pancakes I set it down on Court and I's shared bed covered it before searching for Court.

I found him out in the meadow with my dad who had just finished the chicken coop as I came over.

"This is the first one done. There are a few more in making so the chickens can be spread out. We're going to work on containment for the cows and pigs next. We'll also work on it for the horses as well. All the chickens can be placed amongst the coops. For now, we'll keep the doors open until it's all done. Once it's done, we'll close it and work on fencing to keep them safe."

"Thank you. I assume you guys are good here?" Court asked.

"We are, we should have enough lumber to finish up these coops and start on the fencing for the cows."

Court nodded before he turned away and came into contact with me.

"Hello darling, do you need something?" Court asked.

Dad glanced up upon catching sight of me with Court. He had mixed feelings on Court and I's relationship. But I don't care. 

"Yes, I came to tell you I made pancakes if you would like some." I told him.