Chapter Nine

The windows were down, the breeze drifting into the car pleasantly. The sound of Oliver tapping his foot the only noise in the car as we neared the park on the outskirts of town. I looked over briefly at him to see his nervous expression, the sweater normally covered in paint being freshly clean as he tugged on the hem.

"You okay?"

He sat up in his seat, his eyes darting around the car for a moment before I felt his eyes on the side of my face.

"Yes I just... what if my dad finds out? What if the police finds us? Are we going to get arrested?" The panic was clear in his last sentence as I pulled over to the side of the park. I quickly placed my car in park as I looked over at him with a smile. For once he didn't avoid my eyes when ours met.

"No Oliver we won't get arrested for being out and if your dad finds out than my parents find out and ultimately we might be screwed but tonight isn't for thinking." I said quietly not to startle him. He looked at me for a few seconds before his shoulders relaxed visibly and he nodded his head.

I opened my car door as Oliver did the same, making our way to the set of swings. We each sat down not making a sound. I swung slightly, looking up at the stars with a small smile.

"The stars are beautiful tonight." I mentioned, looking over at him before nodding my head up.

I watched him lift his head, the side of his face lighting up dimly with the street lamp. His dirty blonde hair was still ruffled in a mess but in a way that made it look like it was suppose to be that way. His pale skin looked free of any blemishes and soft to the touch that I gripped the chain of the swing in my hand slightly tighter. He wore a smile as he admired the stars and I tore my gaze off of him feeling content at his happiness.

"They're so bright, makes you think who else in the world is seeing what we are." He said quietly, appearing in thought.

"I want to see the world Oli, what it has to offer, watch the stars in different places to see what it's like but it'll probably not happen." I muttered sadly.

"Why not?"

My head slightly turned to see him already looking at me with a questioning gaze. I was surprised to say the least that he wasn't tugging on his sleeves or avoiding my gaze as usual.

"I need the football scholarship to be able to go to college. Scouts will be here this year so I need to step up my game and be focused, not looking at stars to make me feel better."

"But are you happy?"

My breathe caught in my throat and I stopped my swinging, my foot colliding with the wood chips. We stared at one another so intently I don't think I've ever held eye contact for this long with someone, so deeply. In the moment I felt like telling him everything there is to tell but instead I bit the inside of my cheek, shrugging my shoulders.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because its no life to live if you're not enjoying it to live it."

I felt the stress weigh on my shoulders more than I ever have. I was exhausted not because I was physically tired but from putting up a façade ever day when I walked into the school building. Everything I didn't want to think about swarmed in my mind with his single sentence and I almost felt like crying.

"What do you enjoy?"

"You're changing the subject."

"I am."

"Why?"

"Because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't." I admitted softly, I watched his eyes glimmer in the light as he nodded his head.

I stood from the swing, extending my hand out to him. I watched as he eyes my hand cautiously as if debating with himself so I offered him a friendly smile. He lifted his slightly shaking hand but before he placed it in mine I quickly tapped it with a teasing glimmer in my eyes. "You're it!" I shouted and turned on my heel dashing away but not too fast knowing I have the advantage.

I heard the sound of laughter, my head turning to watch him quickly bolt out of the swing after me. It was like this for a while, we laughed and chased each other around the empty park, the street lights our only way of seeing each other. We teased one another about who was faster and who was the better tagger even though we both know I was. The thoughts that swarmed my head earlier and the event with summer vanished from my mind as we played like we would have if we were kids. Not that I knew Oliver until recently but I felt like if we had met earlier in life it would be different for me now.

I felt him tap my shoulder, my body turning slightly to reach out for him but my foot twisted and I grabbed his hoodie with a yelp and tumbled down pulling him on top of me before I could register my movements. I felt him mutter an "oof" as he collided on my chest, a groan escaping my lips from the sudden weight. Oliver lifted his head to look at me and once we made eye contact we both bursted out in laughter as he rolled over onto the grass next to me.

I turned my head to look at him still laughing. For once he looked genuinely happy, no anxiety, no fear in his eyes, it was refreshing to see him not worried about something or everything really.

"You're cute when you laugh." My eyes widened hearing my own voice speak out. His laughter came to an abrupt halt as he turned his head to look at me with wide eyes. Once he noticed I was looking at him already with my own shocked eyes, he quickly turned his head in a shy manner with a blush so fierce creeping on his pale cheeks.

"I am not cute." He muttered, beginning his habit of tugging his sleeve.

I opened my mouth to protest even though I wasn't sure why I wanted to insist that he was, when my phone began to ring. We both sat up quickly at the sound, our eyes panicked. I quickly shuffled around in my pocket taking it out with horror.

It was now 4:26AM and my moms name flashed on my screen, the brightness hurting my eyes as I cursed out. I brought my finger up to my lips signaling him to be quiet. I answered the phone lifting it up to my ears knowing what's to come.

"Mama-"

"¿Dónde estás?  Fui a ver cómo estabas y te fuiste.  Estoy muy preocupada, será mejor que te vayas a casa ahora mismo para que podamos hablar antes de que despierte a tu padre, ¿entendido? Ahora Jackson." Her voice was angry and demanding and I quickly stood up, the sound of Oliver shuffling to do the same as we made our way to the car. My mom was still ranting by the time we opened the car doors, taking a seat inside.

"Si mama, Lo siento. I'm coming now."

"más te vale." Ending the call.

I turned my car on, putting in the directions to Oliver's house.

"Are you in trouble?" I glanced over at him, offering him a smile before shaking my head.

"Not really she'll give me a huge rant when I get back but eventually she'll calm down."

"Oh okay, I'm sorry." I let out a huff of air.

"You have nothing to be sorry for Oliver I don't regret it even for a second. I like spending time with you, it's worth it." I concluded not leaving any room for argument. I heard him shuffle towards the window so naturally I looked at him again. The blush was on his cheeks again as his hands gripped his thighs. The smile never leaving my face as we drifted into town.