1

Lily

Lily woke up early that morning. It was the first of her seventh year, the first day of her NEWT year. She couldn't wait to go to all her lessons, to meet all the professors, to eat breakfast in the great hall. Everything. She had missed it all so badly during the summer. It had been great to meet everyone, Mary MacDonald, Erin Carter and Alice Prewett. She didn't even feel terrible about seeing the marauders again. Even though she did think that it would all be nicer without them, at least without James and Sirius.

She rose from her bed and walked up to the window. She loved the Gryffindor tower. The view was amazing. She could see the treetops of the forbidden forest, the sparkling lake, the big lawns, she felt so happy. Like the sun which already was up, shone right into her and lit up her inside.

She got dresses , looked through her school bag so that she had everything she would need and walked down to eat  breakfast. She loved how quiet the castle was in the morning. Students weren't running about in the corridors, teachers weren't yelling at the students to stop running. Just the portraits' light snoring and the nervous first years' whispers.

She smiled happily at two very short girls as she walked past them a corridor on the second floor and she wondered if she had really been that tiny when she started. No, she couldn't have been...

She walked out of the common room and made her way down the old stairs and through the portrait filled corridors. She had walked there so many times that she could do it without looking, though that's nothing she would do. She loved to see the stone floor and she loved to look at the paintings.

She entered the great hall and heard the sound of students babbling. It was so alive. She sat down at the edge of the Gryffindor table and started to butter up her bread. She noticed that it was mostly the Gryffindors that had decided to not wake up earlier than necessary. Almost all the Hufflepuffs was up and so was the Ravenclaws. She looked over towards the Slytherin table. It was rather empty, though there were still not only first and second year students. She could see a boy with black greasy hair and a long nose. He looked up and their eyes met for a moment before Lily looked down quickly. It was ages ago she had told him it was too late. She hated him, but not even Snape could take away her happy feelings.

'Evans!' an unnaturally cherry voice yelled. 'What a coincidence that both of us are here.'

She recognized the voice directly. It was James Potter. The boy who wouldn't leave her alone. He had asked her out every week since third year, even during summer holidays.

'Yeah,' Lily said sarcastically. 'I didn't know that you use to eat breakfast too.'

To Lily's annoyance James and his friends sat down next to her. 'Did you get my letters this summer?' James asked and grinned.

Lily sighed. She sure had received eight letters from James. That plus a paper heart with the text "wanna go to Hogsmeade with me?"

'I did,' she answered shortly. Why couldn't her friends wake up soon. She didn't want to spend her breakfast with the boys that annoyed her the most in the entire school

'She doesn't seem very flattered,' Sirius said and patted James on the shoulder. 'I told you the heart thing was too much.'

'Hey! She hasn't said no yet!' James argued. 'When you didn't answer my letters Evans, did you mean that you wan-'

'I meant that I don't want to go out with you. Can't you just stop asking, my answer will always be no.' With those words Lily rose up and walked to sit down at the other edge if the table. She heard Remus saying something like 'bad luck prongs'. She sighed deeply. For some reason she didn't feel that mad, more, slightly annoyed. It was weird in one way, because talking to them always used to make her very angry. The annoyance had already almost gone away and she wondered if it was because she had finally got used to them.