17

Lily

From her place on the stands Lily saw as though in slow motion how the bludger hit James in the back if his head, how he fell to the ground.

No one noticed when the Hufflepuff seeker got the snitch because James wasn't moving.

Remus and Peter stood up and began to push their way through the crowded bleacher towards the stairs down to the pitch, so had some teachers. Sirius and Ashley was already down at the ground with James and the rest of the team was quickly zooming towards them.

Everyone was talking very loudly, and Lily thought she heard someone laugh. A Slytherin, probably. Lily stood up and followed the teachers and Remus and Peter down to the pitch.

James was surrounded by people and she could only get glimpses of him. But the moment later she heard someone say, 'Take him to the hospital wing.' And she could see him, being carried away by a stretcher.

She looked around to see Remus, Peter, Sirius and Ashley. They were standing at the edge of the pitch, talking. She rushed up to them.

'Hey Evans!' Sirius said. He didn't even sound half as worried as Lily felt.

'Hi,' she said, not quite sure what to say.

'You know, it's just too bad this was his first game as a captain,' Sirius then said. 'I mean, this is the game people will remember as James Potter's game, the game he fell of his broom and didn't win, and who would want to be remembered because of that?'

'Aren't you worried at all?' Lily asked, surprised to see that Sirius shrugged.

'It's not like it's the first time he's at the hospital wing Lily. I'd say you're overreacting, probably because you're in love with him.'

'I'm not in love with him, just worried.'

'I understand how you feel, Lily,' Ashley said and smiled. 'But it's not like he's going to die or something, he just fell of his broom.'

'He's done it before you know,' Peter said.

Lily nodded, but she still felt very worried. 'So... er... are you going to visit him at the hospital wing or something?'

'Yeah, sure,' Sirius said, and with him in the lead they started to go.

They reached the hospital wing and walked inside. It was pretty empty, only two of the beds were occupied by people. One of them was James.

They walked up to him but just as they reached the bed madam Pomfrey stopped them.

'Out!' she said angrily and looked at Sirius and Ashley's muddy quidditch robes. 'The hospital wing is not a place for dirty... pigs. Out!'

'We're not pigs!' Sirius said angrily but Ashley was wise enough to drag him out before he made a too big scene.

'Well, we should probably come back later instead,' Remus said after a while. 'I mean, it'll probably be an hour or so until he wakes up. Come.'

'I think I'll stay,' Lily said and sat down in a chair next to James.

'Ok,' Peter said and the two boys left, leaving Lily and James alone together with a blonde boy two beds away and Madam Pomfrey.

Lily sat completely still, with her hands in her knee, feeling slightly uncomfortable. She just sat there silently, for a moment or two, wondering whether or not she should leave, when he suddenly opened his eyes.

'Hey there, Lily flower,' he mumbled and smiled weakly. 'So what brings you here?'

'Are you Ok, James?' she asked, ignoring both his question and that he called her Lily flower.

'Well, now you're here, I couldn't be better.'

She blushed slightly and hated herself for doing so, but she still smiled. 'I'm glad to hear that,' she said. 'Well, I just wanted to make sure you were ok, I'll go now.'

She was just about to go when James called her back. 'Lily!' he said. 'Lily, I've just got a question.'

Lily turned around.

'D'you want to go to Hogsmeade with me?'

Lily smiled. It all felt so stupid, so silly. Just a few moments ago she had been really worried, wondering whether he would be ok; and now, two three minutes after he'd woken up, he asked her whether or not she wanted to go to Hogsmeade with him. She couldn't help but laughing.

'Well?' James asked.

'Sure,' Lily said and smiled, because she wanted to go with James. For once she really wanted.