10

(One day earlier)

James

'Well ask her then, if you want to,' Sirius said and sighed.

They were sitting in the Gryffindor common room, and just like everyone else they were talking about the ball. James really did want to go with Lily, because after all he still loved her, but at the same time, she had really hurt his feelings. He just wished that she hadn't kissed him and everything would be as it always had been.

'I'm not sure,' James said and ran his fingers through his hair. 'Obviously she doesn't like me, and even if I like her, I'm not sure whether I really want to ask her.'

'Then don't ask her,' Sirius yawned. 'I don't think that you should. She'll have to be nicer to get you Prongs. You're simply too good for her. Ask someone else to make her jealous. Then she'll understand how it feels.'

'Yeah!' James said and nodded. He felt as though he was getting angrier and angrier with Lily for every minute that passed. After all she had been mean, so wouldn't it just be right if he was mean towards her. 'Yeah I really should ask someone else. Someone nice and cool and someone who wouldn't kiss me and then go back to hating me!'

'James you can't do that,' Remus said and looked up from his book. 'It's just way to low.'

'Well she won't get offended if she doesn't like me, which she probably doesn't. Because if she really would have loved me she wouldn't be a jerk towards me,' James explained happily. 'Does anyone of you have any ideas on who I should ask?'

'James she still likes you!' Remus said and closed his book. 'I'm sure of it!'

'Then how can you be so sure?'

'We're both in history of magic. She told that she thought that she still loved you but that she didn't know, that she was "confused".'

'Confused? Don't make me laugh!' James said angrily. 'How does she think I'll react then? Sirius, a girl who likes me, please.'

'Um...' Sirius scratched his neck. 'Well, I think that Mary MacDonald girl likes you.'

'What?!' James grinned. 'Are you losing it mate? She hates me, remember? She's always hated me and she always will. I can't go to the ball with someone who hates me. Really Padfoot. Of all those girls who knows how incredible hot I am, you chose one who hates me.'

'Ashley told me she likes you.'

'Ashley who?' James asked confused.

'Ashley Stanton you stupid flobber worm,' Sirius answered, sounding annoyed. 'She told me a few days ago.'

'Oh, Ashley Stanton! The girl of your dreams. She told you that Mary MacDonald likes me?'

'Yeah.'

'Ok... then thank her from me.' James stood up.

'Wait, are you asking her now?' Peter asked surprised.

'Yeah, of course, there she is.' He pointed across the room at a gang of three girls. One of the girls was Mary MacDonald.

'James don't do it!' Remus said angrily. 'It's just stupid. Lily won't like you more because you go out with another girl.'

But James had already crossed the room and stood now faced against Mary. 'Hey,' he said and smiled one if his charming smiles.

'Hey yourself Potter,' Mary answered without a single tone of love in her voice. 'What d'you want.'

'Oh, well,' James said nonchalantly, 'I just thought that maybe you would want to go to the ball, with me.'

'With you?' Mary sounded surprised. 'Really?'

'Well if you want to... of course I understand if you don't...'

'No, no I'd love to. See you later James.' She smiled in a way that James had never seen her smile before, and James smiled to. The revenge was half finished.

He walked back to the couches where his friends sat. Remus gave him an angry look before he rose up and walked up to the boys' dormitory, but James really didn't care. He didn't regret what he had done one single bit.

'So, who are you going with Padfoot?' James asked as though nothing had happened. 'Ashley?'

'I guess,' Sirius answered. 'I just don't know how to ask her. She's alway with a group of friends and I don't want her friends to listen.'

'You could take her on a broom ride, and then when you're high up in the cold air you could ask her.' He lowered his voice. 'Hey, Ashley. You know, we're like twin souls. You like quidditch, I like quidditch, you like food, I like food, you like bales, I do too. Oh, speaking about the ball, maybe you'd like to go with me?'

Sirius grinned. 'That's a great idea Prongs, or I'll just ask her on the ground. Thanks for making my voice all cool and dark and everything by the way. I really appreciate it.'

'And if you haven't asked her in three days I'll call you chicken for the rest if your life,' James said and smiled evilly. 'Chicken or flobber worm, whatever you prefer mate.'

'I don't prefer any of them.'

'Then I'll call you cow.'

Sirius looked confused at his friend. 'Whatever,' he said.

'Ard.'

'What?'

'Coward,' James said. 'Then I'll call you coward.'