9 (1/3)*

"Well, I didn't know jealousy was in attendance tonight—oh wait, it's just you under all that green envy, Doc. How's the gala treating you?"

You inhale deeply, avoiding the smug smirk playing on Tony's lips. You turn to face him, leaning an elbow on the bar as the wine swooshes in the glass. "Did Pepper finally ditch you for the head security guard of the tower?"

Tony laughs loudly, slapping a hand over his chest. "Oh my, it seems I've struck a nerve." He glances over his shoulder, eyes once again landing on the tall, burly blond across the room by the piano. His carefully gelled hair is visible above everyone's heads, as a sea of reporters and other socialites surround him, hanging off every word he says. From here, you can practically see them swoon and fall for his magnetic charm.

"This is good for him." You say, trying to convince yourself. "He's been practicing speaking for weeks—he wants to make a good impression."

"He has confidence and potential, I'll give him that." Tony signals for a refill of his glass, and the bartender fills it immediately. He sips slowly, eyes flickering between you and Steve. "You know, we could have just put out a statement. It would have been far less stressful and you wouldn't have to watch that." The brunet winces as a young beautiful woman lays a hand on Steve's arm, caressing his bulging bicep under his suit.

You quickly look down at your heeled feet, remembering Steve asking how you suddenly got a few inches taller after getting ready–you proceeded to show him your heels, "How...walk around in those? Hurt? So–pointy..."

"The public would have made up horrible rumours about him—you saw what they did to Bucky."

"Barnes was an assassin who was unjustly blamed for the death of—" Tony snaps his mouth shut, grinning at the passing socialites, then once they're gone, he rolls his eyes, "—Those two are basically the biggest blabbermouths of the city, and Peter nearly spilled the beans about the manbeast to those punks." He huffs. "The kid is smart, but his mouth sometimes isn't... an odd mix considering he's in charge of presentations for the new interns."

You sigh loudly.

Tony raises a hand in surrender, "As I was saying, that is a weak comparison between Barnes and Rogers, one is a completely clean slate, no blood, no foul, nothing. And you seem to be convinced people will dig up some dirt on him, yet allowed him to be interviewed by himself."

"I'm not convinced that they'll dig up dirt—there isn't dirt anyway, he isn't a bad person." You correct, gaze dragging across the vast ballroom. People in different, sleek gowns and suits chat enthusiastically, eating hors d'oeuvres and sipping fancy champagne or wine. "The independence will be good for him, and he wasn't against it."

"But he wanted you with him all night, right?"

You slump, fiddling with your necklace, and that was enough for Tony.

"Doc, I know you care about him," The man starts, furrowing his brows as he finds the words, "but maybe you're doing what you think is better for him—and in turn, you're ignoring what he knows is best for the both of you."

Your eyes widen and you shoot him a look, "What coming-of-age novel did you get that from?"

"The one Peter left in the lab," Tony says, so easily that you don't know if it's the truth or not. "I understand that getting his face out there and showing everyone he isn't a threat is important. Ignoring the fact that we're admitting that S.H.I.E.L.D. is once again, a mountain of secrets that go down to the Earth's core," He cracks a smile when you laugh lightly, "But is all that publicity worth it when you're sulking in this beautiful dress, and some noisy reporter is hanging off your fella's arm?"