Chapter: 0.5

𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎.

✣ ✣ ✣

"I plead guilty," I say out loud to the judge in front of me and smile. A smile that tugs at the skin around my eyes, forming dents in my skin. It's a smile that doesn't show an ounce of remorse or shame about what I've done because I'm not. I'm not ashamed of my actions. I would never do something to someone who didn't have it coming.

The man sitting beside me, who happens to be my lawyer, looks at me with shock and a hint of fear in his dark eyes. Before the judge entered my interrogation room, we talked about the outcomes of different situations and our plan was to plead 'not guilty'. He did most of the talking but I made the point of being terrible at following orders that aren't my own.

"You what?!" He whisper-yells at me. His head whips back and forth between the judge in front of us and the people standing in the interrogation room with us. He pushes his chair back and stands up while readjusting his suit jacket and tie. "Your Honor, may I have a word with my client for two minutes, please?" His hands are positioned in front of his chest as if he's praying.

He's got nothing to pray for. I can confirm there are no saints within this room.

The judge is too shocked to register being talked to, his eyes are locked on mine and I lock my own on his. I try my best to hold back the smirk tugging at my lips but I don't. I let it make an appearance and that alone makes the judge snap out of his haze and look around nervously.

"Did you know we all got both light and dark sides within us? No?" When I am met with silence I slightly shake my head. These people are as useless as headless chickens. "Figured as much. It doesn't matter if you have both sides within you because everybody does. What does matter is how we, as humans, choose to act on it. Which side we chose to follow and which one to hide away." I never broke eye contact with the judge and I can tell he is fidgeting under my stare.

Ahhh, he's catching on to my point.

I feel everyone in the room focusing on me. Their heavy gazes feel like an invisible weight on my shoulders pulling me down, eating me alive, and tearing me apart from the inside out but I ignore it. I can and I will say this before it's too late. I slowly stand up but with my wrists handcuffed to the table, I stand in an odd position. "To get my point across, we have someone in this room who aren't who they say they are." A heavy silence overtakes the room as everybody looks around in confusion but they're missing what's right in front of them.

The judge still holds eye contact with me, in fact, I don't think he has looked away yet but the intensity of his gaze is faltering by the second. He's figured it out and he realizes he won't ever escape this. Quiet whispers can be heard in the room now but my voice breaks the peace.

"How does it feel?" I see the judge harshly swallow and feel everyone's attention is back on me. "How does it feel to know what you've done is wrong? To know that you got away with it but are getting caught now?" I put on the wickedest smile I can muster before exposing him. Exposing the man who has caused more pain to this world than I could ever have done. "It doesn't feel great does it, brother?"

The blood seems to have drained from his head and everyone in the room looks back and forth between us, confused.

"They didn't know, right? That we're related but not only that. You were the one who murdered my whole family."

✣ ✣ ✣