Chapter 1

"So many people," Bloom whispers. I nod, taking in the shared yard area of Alfea. It would look like a typical high school if you didn't know it was a school for fairies, except for a few people walking around with swords on their backs. That would never fly back in California or any state in the U.S.A.

"Who are we meeting again?"

"Someone named Stella, and it is 3 o'clock now, so..."

I shake my head at my adopted sister. That is her nerves getting the better of her. Sometimes she cracks me up, "I'll catch up with you later. I want to look around and see if they have a gym."

I leave my duffel bag with Bloom and head off on my own. Because unlike Bloom I don't mind being on my own. I grew up that way anyway. I check the Fairy Hall first to see if there is a gym. There is, but it only has a treadmill, some light weights, and a yoga area. I fade into the shadows and head for the Specialist Hall. It's fun to walk around with people not knowing you are there. If this wasn't a school for fairies as well I do believe that I could convince some people that it is hunted. This Hall looks more military-like, and everything is painted in similar blue and grey colors with natural dark wood.   I catch a glimpse of one of the bedrooms and see that it is carried into there.

I ignore everyone staying on my mission to find an excellent place to work out. I see the training area for weapons training and hand-to-hand combat. Then off to the side near the woods, I see some pull-up bars and an obstacle course, "Bingo."

Now done with that, I will go and unpack. As I walk into our shared living arrangements, I see four other girls besides Bloom, "There you are, Scarlet," she points me to a bed along the back wall, "Sorry, you got here last."

I roll my eyes at her playfully, "You know that I am fine with anything."

Terra is the first to introduce herself to me, and she even gives me a plant, "Hello, I'm Terra."

"Scarlet."

"That's Musa over there," she points to a girl with a sharp nose and headphones on, " Aisha is sharing with your sister Bloom, and Stella is over there."

"Oh," I raise my voice so everyone can hear, "the person who was late meeting us."

Stella, who has blonde hair and looks at different clothes, huffs and rolls her eyes. I love making new friends. As everyone gets ready for the welcome to or back, the party depends on whether you are in the first year or not. I change into legs, a long sleeved t-shirt, and tennis shoes. I'm going to hit up that obstacle course. Of course, the others tried to get me to come, but I declined, telling them that I would stay in. Bloom knowing me well, understands that I want to do something alone.

Waiting for night to fall I listen to some music and relax with a book. Once the sun has set, I head off, using the shadows to stay hidden. I pass right by the party and no one sees me but Stella looks my way confused. Reaching the field I start by doing some pull-ups before stretching. The obstacle course has a rope swing, an 8-foot wall, a rock wall, and other minor things. I head straight for the rock wall. It has always been something I enjoyed doing back home. My mom, adopted one, of course, would go with me. I think that only added to the tension in the house when Bloom was more introverted.

I can feel the burn in my muscles from their use and sigh in relief. It has been a few days since I could work out, and I could feel the need to release the stress pounding away at me. The next time I climb, I want to time it. I slowly start making my way back down. The good thing about me being a fairy is that my connection with shadows allows me to see at night. Farah Dowling, the Head Mistress of the school is not sure what type of fairy I am yet. After tomorrow's class, she will know, she said.  So for now I focus on staying in shape.