Chapter 15

Sitting in a chair, Sara, Josh's tattoo artist, is finishing up my design so that anyone under Josh's thumb knows that my debt has been paid and a warning sign to other groups. I am free and not to be messed with. Sky and Marco are watching over me as Dowling has to keep up the act about wanting a business deal. I can see the concern in their eyes, looking over my bruised and bloody face.  I know that my ribs will have matching bruises as well. 

"Finished," Sara states, holding a mirror up for me. A blue phoenix breaking out of a circle with it's wings out the right side. The chains holding it to a rock grouping to the left in the solid left side of the circle, broken.

"Thanks, Sara," I pull her in for a hug, "How much longer?"

"One and a half."

"Call me when you open up your own place."

One last squeeze and I let go. I leave my jacket off as I exit the side room and back into the main area of the underground fighting ring. Another fight has started drawing the attention of most people away from me. Whispers start when people see my fresh ink—making our way back to the club, which is above the fighting ring. Using a back door, we enter Josh's office. Everyone stops talking, "I like the style you choose," Josh nods at my ink, "Even if it does mean that I am losing you."

"Are you ready," Dowling asks me. My head is pounding, but I keep my strong face on.

"If your business is complete."

"It is," she states, standing, "After I speak with my husband, we will be sending notice. Either way."

"A pleasure," Josh stands, "Whenever you are in town. For business or pleasure, feel free to stop by. Business partners or not. Please use the back door tonight, though."

With a nod, we are walking out the back. Matt is waiting with our two cars. When he sees me, he rushes over, picking me up in a hug, "I am so glad to see you again and now free," he sets me back down, "You look like sh--, are you okay?"

"We need to move," Silva states.

"Your eighteen, right," I ask Matt.

"Yes."

"You're coming with me," when he goes to ask questions, "You trust me, right?"

"Yes," he looks at Silva and Sky, questioning me with his eyes.

"Then trust me now."

Loading up in the vehicles, Silva lowers the back seats so I can lie down. He is sitting in the only back seat. Marco is kneeling next to me, looking me over. Sky, is in the front seat, just taking everything in. My head rests in Matt's lap. I can tell by the look he is giving me that he wants to ask questions; however, he waits. Even when we went through the portal, he holds his tongue. 

Pulling up to the school, Mr. Jackson was there waiting with Professor Harvey and some Solarian guards, "Headmistress Dowling, " he starts when she exits, "The Queen will hear of this. You and the Headmaster have been gone for hours, and Duch-"

After opening the trunk, Silva helps me out, "You were saying, Mr. Jackson."

When he rushes towards me, Matt steps right in front of him, "Back off," Matt orders staring him down. Two of the Solarian guards step forward and point their guns at him.

"Stand down, Jackson," I snap at him, holding onto my waist as I take a step forward, "I had a debt to take care of," when he goes to speak, I hold up my hand to stop him, "Matt is my loyal friend and guest. He will be treated as such. I will explain everything to him after Professor Harvey has looked me over."

Riven steps up and helps me walk inside, letting Matt drops back to protect my backside. Sky is on my left, and Silva and Dowling are filling Professor Harvey in as we walk.  As we enter the school, I see Aisha walking around in her robe with the tablet that she uses for working with Dowling in hand, "Queen Luna is waiting for an update," she states, "I tried to hold Jackson off as long as I could. "

"Everything is alright, Aisha," Dowling states as we move quickly down the halls, "Go and get some rest. We will meet in the morning."

Professor Harvey has them take me to my room so that I can rest as soon as he is done. Matt stays by my side and watches as Professor Harvey fixes me up. Sky and Riven ae posted on the outside of my room so that no one will walk in, "There," Harvey states, finishing the last stitch on my  right eyebrow, "Have all of your Burnedones injuries healed?"

"Burnedones injuries," Matt steps forward, "What the h-ll is going on here Scar?"

"Yes, Professor, no more lines, and my strength is returning."

"Good, I don't want her fighting for at least two weeks," Harvey states, "See you all in the morning,"  with a nod to me, he leaves.

"Matt," I stand, making my way over to him slowly, "Matt, look at me," I stop a few feet in front of him. He locks eyes with me. I move closer and bring his head down to mine. Pressing our foreheads together, "To my death."

"To my death."

Pulling back, I notice a look on Silva's face, almost like a look of horror and pain. Matt joined me on the edge of my bed as I explained everything that I knew, and Dowling and Silva helped with the basic stuff that Matt would need to know. I can tell that it is a lot for him. They agree to let Matt sleep on my couch for the night, but he would have to have his own room by the end of the week if he was to stay.  After I get him settled, I gently throw myself into bed, praying that sleep is all that awaits me.