Chapter 3

Riven and I circle each other before he makes his move. Instead of going for a straight knockout, I decide to play with him. I dodge some of his punches but let him land a hit or two and throw some of my own. Silva joins us as Riven lands a solid blow to my ribs, "D--n," He states, "are you sure you want to keep going," Riven smugly asks.

I cast a quick glance at Silva asking him if I could go full contact, "Full contact," Silva orders.

"What," Riven turns his head leaving me an open shot and I take it. I land a kick to his chest and follow through with a punch to his head knocking him down. I take the upper hand by pinning him to the ground with my weight on his hips and elbows.

"Good work Scarlet," Silva states, "Never underestimate your opponent Riven. Or it could be your final mistake. Just ask the third-year student she knocked out this morning."

Silva walks away seeing that we are finished. I sit on the edge of the raised fighting platform and start to undo my thin gloves, "Where did you learn to fight like that," Sky asks joining me?

"Why does Silva look at you like a father does a son," I counter?

"Oh," Riven sits on my other side and throws an arm over my shoulders. I stiffen up, "She got you there Sky."

"Remove your arm," I hiss.

"I'm sorry," Riven chuckles but he still leaves it there.

I grab his wrist with my right hand and squeeze it before lifting his arm off and back over my head, "I said to remove your arm," I repeat, "If you ever do that again I will be sending you to Professor Harvey on a stretcher. Got it," I ask with a playful voice and a tilt of my head.

Riven just nods and I release him, "S--t, I like you," he states rubbing his hand.

"When you answer my question, I will answer yours," I tell Sky before collecting my bag and heading to meet with Dowling. I can feel the eyes watching me as I walk the halls. Having the Head Master dragging you behind him as he follows the Head Mistress who is running down the hall makes a statement. 

Dowling and Silva are talking when I enter her office. I knock on the door panel since the door was opened, "Scarlet," Dowling waves me in. I shut the door behind me, "I have been speaking with Silva and Queen Luna about your fairy side and I would like to test something. You can say no if you choose."

"What is it?"

"You have heard about the Burned Ones from your sister Bloom correct," she asks. I nod my head yes, "I want you to try and blind one. We have it chained and it won't hurt you."

"What will this tell you about my magic," I tilt my head in question, "You already know that I can do that."

 "It will tell us if you are a Changeling or not," Dowling watches me closely, "It would take a large amount of magic to do this with the little training that you have had."

I look toward Silva to gauge his thoughts on this. His blank stare says it all, he clearly does not think this a good idea, "I have known about my magic since I was ten," they both perk up at this, "I can do small things like blinding people, changing what they can see, I can see at night, and through the shadows."

"Since you were ten," Silva looks at Dowling, "What brought your magic out?"

I ignore him not wanting to answer, "I will test my magic on it."

"Very well," Dowling states, "When the sun sets we will head to the barn then. I have a phone call that I need to make."

Seeing that we were down I head out to the hall but Silva is hot on my heels, "Scarlet," he calls out, "Scarlet," I continue to ignore him till he grabs my arm and pulls me into a classroom blocking the door, "Scarlet, I'm not trying to be nosy but for the safety of this school I need to know how you learned to fight?"

"I started taking classes about the same time I learned that I had magic. It helped me control the outburst of magic. It was a way to help me."

He stares into my eyes testing me. I notice a look that I have only seen in a few people. Someone who would understand that some things are better left in the past. But even with this matching understanding that I know, he would have I still don't trust him. A bell goes off and Silva moves out of the doorway, "That's all I am getting right?"

"See you at sundown."

The halls are filled with students heading off to different things, but instead of trying to find my sister I just head back to the bedroom. When I get to my room I see Terra changing till she saw me, "I, um, why were you with Silva all day," she quickly pulls on her shirt?

"Dowling wants to test me before I join the fairy classes," I catch her eyeing her jeans that she wants to put on, "If you get up at six then no one will be awake to see you change," I grab a book off of my desk, "Or I could cover you in shadows so that the others won't see you."

"You can do that?"

I nod before looking down at my book, "Yep, it can come in handy. See," I wave my hand and she disappears. After she was done I waved my hand again and she reappeared with a huge grin on her face.

Instead of meeting that night like planned, I am instead awake the next morning with Terra bright and earlier. Terra starts to spit out different facts about plants as she has become comfortable with me. She makes me want to laugh as she reminds me of an old friend. She places a cactus on my desk, a knock comes on our door. When I open it a see one of the third-year standings on the other side, "Silva wants you to come now for your test."

I grab my leather jacket, tell Terra bye, and silence my phone before heading out. I am surprised to see a group of other specialists coming with us. Enough to fill three vehicles. Silva guides me into the first vehicle, "Queen Luna is sending some of her guards to transfer the Burned One to the Capital as it has better-holding facilities."

The drive is quiet for the most part, well that is till we get past the barrier, "You are to stay by my side the whole time," Silva orders, "Once you are done I need you to wait in the vehicle."

"Not a problem," I look out the window and watch the trees as go by, "Silva what do these things look like?"

"Like a charred piece of meat an-"

"On your left!"