Chapter 2

Daphne

I had three hours until I had to be at the interview, but I wanted to be ready early. I'm a time freak and I always get nervous that I'm going to be late.

I didn't need to shower since I did that in the middle of the night so I went straight to hair and makeup. I went for a more natural style of makeup, I didn't want to overdue it and I wasn't a huge fan of makeup anyways. I just put on some mascara and lipgloss and called it a day. I pulled back my wavy blonde hair into a neat ponytail and styled the curls so they looked a bit more neat.

I hadn't brought a lot of clothes with me from home, but I had a few outfits that would work for an interview. I put on a light pink blouse and a black pencil skirt. I matched that with a pair of black pumps. I looked at myself in the mirror and hoped I looked ok. I wasn't sure what was expected at these interviews, it'd been a while since I'd had one and that was to work at the book store in college.

I walked down the hall and the clock read 9:32. I was still really early, but I didn't know where I was going and I didn't want to be late. I took the elevator down to the lobby and used the phone at the unoccupied front desk to call for an Uber. I didn't have much money left, but I didn't necessarily need lunch today. I just hoped Zolar Inc wasn't too far away.

My Uber pulled up at 9:47 according to the clock in the car and I told the driver where I was going. It took us less than fifteen minutes to get there and I was out of the car right at 10:00. I walked into the building and stopped at the front desk.

"Hi, how can I help you," the woman at the desk asked me.

"I'm here for the interview at 11:00. I'm sorry, I know I'm a bit early."

"That's fine. You can go up and wait. Did you fill out an application online?"

I hadn't known about an online application. Then again I didn't have any way to access the internet let alone a printer. I told the woman I hadn't and apologized, but she told me it was fine. She handed me an application and a pen and directed me to the elevator. The CEO's office was on the top floor and that's where the interview was going to be.

I pressed the button for the top floor and rode up in silence. I was starting to feel nervous and I tapped my foot the whole way up.

I sat down in the waiting room and started filling out my application. I was almost done when I noticed other girls arriving. A lot of them were dressed very differently than I was. They looked like they were ready for a party, not a job interview. Was that what was expected? I got more and more nervous as more girls arrived. I wouldn't get the job over them. They clearly knew what they were doing and I didn't. I hadn't even filled out an online application.

I reminded myself to breathe and tried to focus on my relaxation techniques. The first girl was called and I tried my best to breathe evenly as more and more girls went. I closed my eyes to try and stop my panicking and only opened them when my name was called. I opened my eyes to see that I was the only girl left.

I stood up and made my way into the CEO's office. I knocked before entering and saw the CEO sitting in his chair looking bored. I would be too after all of these interviews. It was nearly 2:00.

"Take a seat."

I sat in one of the chairs he gestured to. The name plate on his desk read Mason Zolar. So that was his name. Makes sense since this is Zolar Inc.

"Daphne Miller?" he asked.

"Yes sir."

"We didn't get a resume from you, can you tell me about your past education and experience?"

"Yes sir. I graduated top of my class in both high school and college. I worked in the campus book store and was manager by my senior year," I told him.

"Anything else?" he asked without even looking up at me from my application.

"No sir, that's it."

"Why should I give you this job?" he asked and finally looked up at me.

"Excuse me?"

"Why should I hire you? What makes you the best one for this job?"

"I work hard, I'm extremely dedicated, and I care. I really want to be here. I need to be here," I told him.

"Ok, thank you."

"That's it?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yup," he said, his eyes already glued to the computer screen.

"Thank you," I said and left the room. I don't think that went very well. I didn't have a resume or hardly any experience and I practically begged for the job. I care? Really? That's what I said? I mean it's the truth, but aren't you supposed to make yourself sound better than the truth in an interview?

I didn't have enough money to take an Uber home, but luckily I remembered the way. My stomach was growling and my feet felt like I had knives stabbing through them by the time I got home. I changed into my favorite sweatpants and a sweater and ate a bag of chips. I couldn't afford lunch today. I wasted my money on getting an Uber to that pointless interview that I blew. Damn it. What was I going to do now?

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts. My heart started racing at who it could be. I hadn't met anyone in the city and there was only one person that'd come looking for me. I cracked open the door and saw... Mr. Zolar?