Chapter 23

Daphne

What happened? I felt like I'd been hit in the head with a sack of bricks. I rubbed my eyes and opened them, expecting to be in Mason's bed, but instead I was in a cold, dark room.

"Mason?" I called out.

"Oh, he's not coming to save you this time," the voice that haunted my nightmares answered.

The lights flicked on, illuminating Patrick's basement in his house. In Florida.

"Happy to be home sweetling?" he asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

I didn't answer. I wouldn't say a thing to this monster. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

A hot sting met my face. I hadn't even noticed him approach, let alone slap me. What was going on? This must be a dream. Wake up Daphne. Wake up and Mason will make you feel better.

I pinched myself over and over, but the nightmare wouldn't go away. Patrick was still there standing in front of me with a wicked grin on his face.

"I asked you a question."

This had to be a dream, it couldn't be real. I couldn't be back here.

But it was real. And so was the fist that connected with my stomach. And the foot that collided with my ribs.

I shut myself down like I used to when he was like this. I zoned out until he was finally done with me and left me on the floor of the basement.

I heard a lock click at the top of the stairs. I was stuck here. All alone.

I curled up into a ball and let my tears flow out. When my eyes were finally dry, I closed them and pretended I was back home with Mason. Because that was home. This never was.

____________________________________

Mason

"Tell me you found her."

I'd been pacing back and forth in my office for hours waiting for news.

"I'm sorry. We're moving as fast as we can."

"Well move faster!" I shouted. "I'm sorry, I just...what do you have so far?"

"Video surveillance of her leaving the building. We are getting video surveillance from around the area to see if we can find something there and we are taking eye witness reports. Your girl is on every news channel in the state and some nation wide. We're gonna find her."

"I know, just please hurry. I'll do whatever it takes to get her back."

____________________________________

Daphne

I'm hungry and cold. I don't know how long I've been here or how long it's been since Patrick's last visit. It's hard to tell from down here.

I miss Mason. Will I ever get to see him again?

The door to the basement opened and my thoughts turned into fear when Patrick strode in with a grin on his face.

"Looks like the pretty Princess got herself on tv," he said in a sickeningly sweet voice.

I was on the tv. He said that to mock me, but all it gave me was hope. Someone's going to find me and bring me back to Mason. All I have to do is hold on.

___________________________________

Mason

"Come on Fred, please say you've got something."