Chapter 9

Daphne

I slept better than I had in ages last night. I barely changed into my pajamas and brushed my teeth before I collapsed into bed and fell asleep.

We were meeting Mason's family in Central Park today and I was nervous. I'd already met them yesterday and they were sweet, but what if they didn't approve of me dating Mason. I found it hard to believe he wanted me and I'm me.

I'm glad I brought a wide variety of clothes because now I have to look my best. I decided to go casual and wore a similar outfit to yesterday for the plane ride. I had on blue skinny jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a scarf along with my Uggs and a coat since it was cold outside. I put my hair in a pony tail, letting my waves do their thing and went back to my normal mascara and lipgloss.

My phone said it was 10:57 so Mason would be here in three minutes.

Oh my God. Mason would be here in three minutes! What if he changed his mind after last night? I wouldn't blame him, but still. Oh God. Now I really feel nervous.

I jumped at the knock on the door and opened it to a smiling Mason.

"Hi," I said and he chuckled.

"Hi."

Mason leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek which eased my nerves. He wouldn't give me a kiss on my cheek if he had changed his mind. Unless he just felt bad and didn't want to break my heart right before we met his parents. No, no, don't go there.

Mason and I walked hand in hand out of the hotel and we decided we'd just walk to the park. It was only a few blocks away. I liked the way Mason's hand felt in mine. It was a perfect fit, like two puzzle pieces.

Mason's family was already at the park when we arrived and their eyes all landed on our joined hands. Then Mason's dad pulled out his wallet and handed over cash to his mom and sister.

"You bet on us?" Mason asked them and my face turned bright red. I covered my face with my free hand and turned into Mason's arm.

"Aww, look at them. They are just too cute," I heard Marsha say.

"Leave them alone," Fredrick said, "before Daphne's face gets any redder."

Of course, my face did get redder but the conversation stopped and we all started walking and talking about less embarrassing things. I learned a lot about Mason and Kat and I laughed a lot. I guess it got less embarrassing for me.

"Oh my gosh," I said as I saw the most beautiful horse with a carriage attached.

"What?" Mason asked and I showed him the horse.

We walked up and I asked the carriage driver if I could pet it. I was surprised when he let me. The horse huffed warm air into my hands and I gently stroked its snout. Mason even pet it too.

"I didn't know you like horses," he said and I shrugged as we walked back to the group.

"I used to ride when I was a kid. I loved it," I told him.

"Why'd you stop?" he asked me.

"My parents passed away and horseback riding lessons were too expensive for foster parents to care about."

"I'm so sorry about your parents," Mason said and I shrugged. I didn't know what else to say, it was a sore spot that I didn't really like talking about.

When we got back to the group, Marsha handed me a hot chocolate and Fredrick handed one to Mason.

"Thank you," I said as I took a sip. It tasted like heaven and immediately warmed me up.

"Of course sweetie," Marsh said.

We walked around the park for a while longer until we all got too cold to stay outside. We said goodbye to Mason's family with a promise of visiting again soon. We wouldn't see them again before our flight back home.

I really liked Mason's family. And I really really liked Mason.

Despite the cold, all I felt today was warmth.