Chapter 19

Mason

"What'd you find?"

I was on the phone with a friend of mine who's a police man. I asked for him specifically to help with this case.

"Four cameras in her apartment, eye witness reports of him entering the apartment, and security camera footage confirming it. We contacted the flower company you told us about and traced the orders back to a burner phone but the number was deactivated."

"Shit."

This was bad. This Patrick guy was clearly insane and I couldn't wait to get my hands on him.

"We are sure he's in the nearby area so we are starting a search today."

"Ok. Thanks Fred."

"Sure thing."

I hung up and went to check on Daphne. She'd been in the shower when I made the call but I didn't hear water running anymore. I knocked on the door in case she was changing or something.

"Come in," her soft voice called out.

I went in and wrapped my arms around Daphne's waist. She responded by leaning her head on my chest and hugging me back.

Having Daphne in my arms was the best feeling in the world. If I could stay just like this forever, I would.

But of course Kat had to walk in and ruin it.

"Hey babes!" she called out and walked in with a duffel bag in hand. She had gone over to Daphne's apartment with Fred after it'd been cleared and got some of her stuff. She didn't know the reason for it and she didn't ask which I was grateful for. This wasn't my story to tell.

"Hi Kat," Daphne said with a sad smile. She was trying so hard to look like she was ok, but she wasn't.

"What's wrong?" Kat asked and looked back and forth between me and Daph.

"Can you give us a minute?" Daphne asked me.

"Of course. Yell if you need me."

I gave Daphne a kiss on the forehead before leaving them to their girl talk.

____________________________________

Daphne

I sat down on the bed and Kat followed suit.

"What's up?" she asked with a concerned look on her face.

I jumped right in and told her all about Patrick and the flowers and the cameras and the notes. By the end we were both crying and Kat wrapped me up in her arms.

"Thank you for trusting me with this," she said.

"Thank you for being such a good friend," I responded.

I don't know what I'd done to be blessed with such amazing friends, but I'm so grateful. I'd never have gotten through this without them.

I won't be completely safe until Patrick is locked away in jail, but with Kat and Mason by my side, I feel like everything is going to be ok.

"Let's watch a movie," Kat suggested and I agreed. Getting my mind off all this for a little while would be good for me.

Kat took me down to the living room and set us up on the couch with blankets and snacks. Danny and Mason were in the other room doing whatever it is guys do when they hang out.

"What do you want to watch?" Kat asked me.

"I don't know," I told her. "Nothing depressing."

"Ok. I've got it."

Kat scrolled through the tv until she found what she was looking for.

"Frozen?"

"I love Frozen," Kat replied.

"Hey, no judgment here. I love a good Disney movie."

Kat started the movie and I settled in with some popcorn. I'd seen Frozen before and clearly so had Kat because she sang along to all the songs, I half expected her to get up and start dancing around the living room. I didn't know the songs as well as Kat did, but I joined in when I could.

We had just gotten to the part with the trolls when the boys walked in and asked if they could watch with us.

"I suppose," Kat answered with a sigh.

Mason snuggled up next to me and I noticed Kat all snuggled up to Danny as well. We explained what had happened so far as neither Danny or Mason had seen the movie. "Disney wasn't really their thing," they said, but when Hans betrayed Anna, Danny was the first to protest.

We all laughed and told him to keep watching and of course, he loved the ending. The four of us ended up watching Disney movies for the rest of the day, enjoying Danny's commentary throughout.

"We should go to Disney World," Kat said and my thoughts were immediately brought back to Florida. Back to Patrick.

Mason shot Kat a glare and her eyes widened in realization.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-"

"It's ok. I know," I cut her off. "Maybe when this is all over we can go."

We agreed and made a pact that when Patrick was locked up, we would go to Disney World to celebrate.

"Someone better tell Fred to hurry," Danny said, "because Kat's about to go track this fucker down herself."

We all laughed because it was true. Kat did look ready to whoop some ass.