Chapter 18

Daphne

A burning sensation crossed my skin. He slapped me.

"I'm sorry," I cried.

"Oh. You're sorry? You're sorry? You should be sorry!" he shouted as his fist connected with my stomach.

"You're mine. You will never leave me."

"Please! I'm sorry!" I sobbed.

Patrick's hand wrapped around my throat and he lifted me up to his eye level.

"Who do you belong to?"

I couldn't answer through my sobs. I shook my head and tried to force my vocal chords to work.

"Who?!" Patrick screamed and tightened his hand.

"You," I choked out. "You."

Patrick threw me to the floor and stalked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

I pushed myself up off the floor and stumbled into bed. There, I sobbed until I finally fell to sleep.

I jolted upright with a scream lodged in my throat.

"Hey, it's ok Daphne. You're ok," a voice broke through the ringing in my ears.

A sob choked it's way out of me and suddenly the world was clear again. I was on Mason's couch, in his arms. I must've fallen asleep. I should've known better.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed over and over again into Mason's chest.

"Shh, Shh. It's ok. You're safe."

Mason whispered soothing words into my ear until I could get my sobs under control.

"I'm sorry," I whispered one last time.

"Hey," Mason said and held my face in his hands, "I love you and I am here for you. Don't ever be sorry."

I wrapped my arms tight around Mason's torso and clung onto him like life support. He held me back just as tightly and we sat like that until i accidentally let out a yawn.

Mason lifted me up and carried me upstairs to a guest room. He laid me down in the bed, but I couldn't let go.

"Please don't leave me," i whimpered.

"Never," Mason said and climbed into bed with me.

I rested my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I drifted back to sleep knowing I was safe in Mason's arms. He wouldn't let anything bad happen to me.