Chapter 16

Mason

"Did you know?" I asked Kat over the phone.

"That mom and dad were coming? Yeah, they called me last week."

"Then how come I didn't know until Daphne just told me they're on their way up?"

"Um. Maybe because if they'd told you, you would've come up with a way to get out of it."

I would've argued, but there was no point, she was right. I love my parents, I do. They just have a habit of being nosy so when they schedule visits, I usually have meetings out of town. It's awful I know.

"Whatever. Bye."

I hung up on Kat as my office door opened and my parents walked in.

"Mom, Dad," I greeted them and stood up to give them hugs.

"Hello dear."

"What's with the sudden visit?" I asked.

"Can't we want to see the children we brought into this world?"

"I'm sorry Mom. I'm glad to see you."

"So, where's Daphne?" she asked and looked around like I might be hiding her in my office.

"She's next door in her office."

"Well, we are having family dinner tonight so I guess we'll see her then."

That was mom's not so subtle way of telling me that I had to bring Daphne for dinner. After assuring her that she would come, my parents left me to work. They were staying at my house apparently and were going back to get dinner ready.

This would be a fun visit. I could tell.

"It's not too late to back out," I reminded Daphne as I pulled into the garage.

"Oh stop that," she said and swatted my chest.

Daphne dragged me into the house and we settled on the couch to wait for Kat and Danny to get here. They got roped in too apparently.

"The party's here!" Kat's sing songy voice filled the house.

Daphne got up and they hugged. Mom came in after hearing the commotion and ushered us into the dining room.

"So Daphne, how've you been?" mom asked after everyone had been served.

"I've been good. How about you?"

"I've been good, but I want to hear about you. How are you liking Boston?"

"It's great," Daphne said after swallowing a bite of food. "It really feels like home."

She glanced over at me and my heart swelled.

My mom awed and then the conversation moved on to Kat's new job. She had recently gotten the opportunity to train with one of her favorite fashion designers and was overjoyed. Fashion had always been Kat's thing. She had been dressing herself up since she was a toddler, we all knew she would go into fashion and now she was getting her big chance.

"I'm proud of you Kat," I told her and everyone agreed.

"Thanks you guys," she said with a slight blush.

I had been in the spotlight going into business like my father had. He ran his own successful business and I followed in his footsteps. Kat however went a different route and now it was her chance to shine.

We wrapped up dinner and Daphne helped mom clear the table before I took her home. She was always doing sweet things like that, even though I could tell she was tired.

"Thanks for coming tonight," I said on our quiet drive back to Daph's.

"I had fun," she yawned and I chuckled.

"You're cute, you know."

She hummed in response and I could tell she was about ready to fall asleep.

I parked outside Daphne's apartment and walked her up.

"Goodnight," she said from the doorway.

"Goodnight."

I stepped forward before Daphne could close the door and pressed my lips to hers. It just felt right in the moment, I couldn't explain it. I loved this girl so much I couldn't even begin to tell you.

"What was that for?"

"Because I love you," I said and pecked her cheek.

"I love you too," she blushed and closed the door.

Mason: sweet dreams

Daphne: you too

I could feel her blush through the screen of my phone. I could practically see her standing in her apartment biting her lip, her face rosy red. I loved it when I made her blush. I loved everything about her.