Chapter 25

Daphne

Beep
Beep
Beep

No. I don't want to wake up yet. I reached over to snooze my alarm, but pain shot up my arm and I stopped.

Feeling slowly seeped back into my body and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Or trampled by a herd of rhinos.

My eyelids felt heavy, but I fought to open them. They fluttered for a moment before squeezing shut against the blinding light. I tried again, and this time my eyes adjusted after a few moments.

"Daphne?" a voice next to me asked and I turned my head to see him.

"Mason," I breathed.

"How are you feeling?" he asked from his place next to my bed and I couldn't help but notice both of his hands gripping my own. It hurt a little, but I wouldn't tell him that because then he'd let go and I needed to feel him so I'd know this was real.

"Ow," was my answer and Mason chuckled.

He hit the button for the nurse who came in shortly after.

"Oh good, you're awake. I'll go let Dr. Pierce know."

The nurse left and swiftly returned with the doctor.

"How are you feeling Daphne?" she asked.

"Like I got trampled by a herd of rhinos."

She laughed and that made me smile.

"Nurse Fallon will get you some pain meds right now. You're looking good but you will have to stay here for at least a week while you recover."

I groaned, but at least I wasn't dead. It could be worse.

Nurse Fallon injected some meds into my IV and they relieved my pain almost instantly. Unfortunately though, they also made me extremely tired.

I yawned and tried to hold open my drooping eyelids.

"Go to sleep beautiful, I'll be here when you wake up."

"Will you hold me while I sleep?" I asked him without looking him in the eye.

"I don't want to hurt you," he said, looking utterly conflicted.

"You won't. I'm all drugged up."

Mason chuckled and helped me scoot over so he had room on the bed. I snuggled into him and he was very careful not to hurt me.

"I love you Mason," I yawned.

"I love you too Princess."

"Mason, some of us would also like to see Daphne," I heard Kat say from the door. I opened my eyes and she was standing there with her hands on her hips, glaring at Mason.

"Hi Kat," I said and she rushed over to my side of the bed.

"Hey Daph, how are you feeling?"

"Not the best, but it could be worse," I answered.

Kat asked Mason to leave so we could have some girl time and after a good deal of protest, he agreed to go to the hotel and shower with the promise that we'd call him if anything happened. Well, Kat would call him because I would be unconscious or something.

Martha, Fredrick, and Danny also took turns popping in to see how I was doing. Martha really fussed over me and even gave me a kiss on the forehead before she left. It meant a lot having all of them here. It was like I had a family again.

After an hour of talking to Kat, Mason came back and Kat left with a frustrated sigh.

"The police need to talk to you," Mason said.

"Oh."

"It can wait until you're feeling better though."

"No, that's ok. I'd better just get it over with."

Mason nodded and let Fred into the room along with a Florida police officer. They asked me to tell them about my time with Patrick, including before I moved to Boston. It was hard, but I told them everything and Mason was there holding my hand the entire time.

"Thank you Daphne," Fred said and gave me a hug.

"He's going away for a long time," the other officer chimed in.

I thanked them before they left and suddenly, I was exhausted. Mason climbed into the bed and held me like he did earlier. I missed being in his arms. It was the safest place in the world.

"I'm so sorry Daph," Mason apologized.

"For what?"

"I told you I would protect you and I failed so miserably."

Mason looked so upset and my heart hurt for him. I didn't want him to blame himself for this.

"It's not your fault Mason. I was the one that fell into his trap. And you saved me. Please don't feel guilty."

Mason didn't say anything. In fact, he wasn't even looking at me.

I gently grabbed his chin and turned his head to look at me. A tear rolled down his cheek and I swiped it away.

"Mason, please don't blame yourself. I'm ok and Patrick's going to jail now."

"You're too good," Mason said.

"So are you."

Mason pulled me even closer and I fell asleep in his arms once again. I never wanted to spend another night without him.