Hansel and Gretel

My bestie requested this one. Thanks to Thepugstar12. We decided go with Hansel and Gretel being abandoned in the woods.

An owl hoot causes Hansel and Gretel to jumped, bumping into each other.

"Gretel? It's getting cold. The fire is going out too." Hansel said, as he looks around. Gretel pulls him closer and hugs herself.

"I know, Hansel. We can try walking again in a bit. Lets try to keep warm. Morning will come, and maybe Father will come back, hopefully." Gretel said, as Hansel nods.

"I-if you say so." Hansel said, as he closed his eyes. Gretel lays her head on top of his.

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow he'll come for us. He wouldn't leave us here." Gretel said, as her eyes slowly closed. A faint light floats towards as a figure kneels down.

......

"Gretel! Gretel! Wake up!" Hansel whispered, as Gretel stirs before her eyes slowly opened.

"Wha? Hansel? Where are we?" Gretel asked, as she became more alert, looking around. She noticed that they weren't in the woods. Nor were they cold anymore.

"I don't know where we are and there's noises coming from bebind the door." Hansel said, as him and Gretel got off the bed. Gretel makes her way to the door as Hansel sticks close to behind her. Gretel opens the door and looks out.

"Clear. Let's go see who's here." Gretel said, as Hansel nods, before looking around.

"It is just me, or does this house look more like it's made of candy?" Hansel asked, as the two slowly sneak down the down hallway.

"Don't trust it. We need to see who is here and get out while we can." Gretel said, as the two come up to an open doorway and a shadow of the preson moving around.

"Hmm. No not that. They're kids. I need to think healthier. Maybe I can asked her? No. She'll make fun of me for even having kids in the house. Think! Think! What would be ok for kids to eat that's not candy?" Gretel and Hansel peeked around the door frame to see an old woman dressed in black rags, flipping through pages of a book. The woman scoffs and tossed the book into a pile of books, before she turned around to look at the book shelf. The book the woman had tossed slide down the pile and near the door frame where Gretel and Hansel were. Gretel reached out and grabbed the book, hiding behind the door frame, as the woman turned around with another book.

"What's that?" Hansel asked. Gretel shrugs and looks at the title.

"Candy Making?" Gretel read outloud, as the two share a curious glance at each other. Gretel opens the book to a random page. The page showed how to make a rainbow lollipop swirl. Gretel and Hansel jumped as they heard a loud gasped and a thud. The two looked over to see the woman looking at them clutching a book to her chest. The woman was sitting on the floor, as they all stared at each other.

"You-you're awake?! Oh, thank god you two are ok. Is there anything I can get you? Um...food? A room to sleep? Or are you leaving already?" The woman asked. Hansel pressed closer to Gretel.

"Who are you? And what do you want with us?" Gretel asked.

"Oh! I'm....a candy witch. I found you two in the woods and took you back to my home. I was hoping if you kids could stay for dinner. I'll take you kids back to your home." The woman said, as Gretel looks at Hansel. Hansel grins up at her, causing her the sigh.

"We'll.....stay for dinner. Thank you for hosting us." Gretel said, as the woman smiles, before getting up. Gretel and Hansel stood up, as the woman waved her hand for them to follow.

"I'm so glad that you decided to stay! I've made some soup. I hope it's ok." The woman said, as she leads them to the kitchen. The womam waved her hand to the table, gesturing for the kids to sit. The woman pulls out some bowls and fills them.

"Here you go. It might be little sweet. Sorry about that. Eat up and go take a bath. The bath is across the hallway." The womna said, as she sets the bowls in front of Hansel and Gretel. Hansel duged in, as Gretel looks at the bowl. Gretel glanced at Hansel, seeing him eat the soup without a care. Gretel looks at the witch to see her eating as well. Gretel dips her spoon in the soup and sips it as she brought the spoon to her lips. Gretel blinks in surprised.

"Is it okay? I hope its not too sweet." The witch said, as Gretel nods.

"It's good." Gretel said, as the witch smiles softly.

.......

"All done with the bath, Miss." Gretel said, as she walks into the room, with a towl, drying her hair. The witch looks up and closed the book, setting it on the nightstand. Hansel was fast alseep, as the witch pulls the covers up to his chin.

"I guess you two are going home tomorrow then?" The witch asked, as Gretel sat on her bed.

"We can't. Our father abandoned us in the woods. We don't have a home to go back too." Gretel said, as she glared at the floor. The witch looks at her.

"Well....you two could stay here with me. If you don't want to, that's fine too!" The witch said, as she looks down at her hands. Gretel's thoughts worked into overdrive before one thought stood out.

"We'll stay if you teach us how to make candy." Gretel said, and the witch looks up at her.

"Really?! Yes! Of course, I'll teach you!" The witch said, as her eyes became misty.