09. Work

Chapter 9

Every nerve in Felicity's body was frantic, never in her imagination had she believed to see him again, least of all here. At an industry, at an meeting, at anything responsible, that word didn't fit with the man in front of her,

Blast it

For more than one reason she felt a pang of hurt that he hadn't recognised her, but what had she expected from a man who is singled out on the scandalous sheet in England, she had heard of what kind of rake he was, she heard all the kinds of women he sociated with and tossed them like a piece of napkin, what signific did she held for him to remember? Nothing, and it was odd that she even felt this way, seriously, it had been years.

"Will you wear that hideous thing throughout this meeting?" his raspy voice cut her thoughts,

The words he blurted out didn't even seem to surprise her, how could it when she knew this man? Since she was a child even, although he didn't lie on that, the bonnet was rather... ugly, and puffy. But she didn't voice that, instead she replied coldly, "Yes I do intend to wear it, sir, now do you consent with the trades," she almost gritted out.

She could feel his burning gaze, "Eager much?"

Her eyes snapped towards him, did he have no sense of professionality? She could see the lazy grin on his face now, her heart thumped widely, the same grin that she once in a time couldn't get enough of, and now she wanted nothing more than slam his face against the ground,

"Mr. Matthews, perhaps the trade was not set for your beneficial then? we can look at it and send a new planner," Felicity said blankly, inside she couldn't wait to leave, hell how could she be so unfortunate today?

He was looking at her far more than necessary and it irked her, then a slow panic raised inside of her, did he know? Could he tell after all those years?

Out of a sudden that look vanished from him, he cleared his throat, "That would do, instead of sending it I want you to bring the new planner next week,"

"Next week," she almost shrieked, this planner was more than a months work! She knew how much the trading needed to be detailed looked at and for everything to stand accordingly, he must be insane!

He seemed to notice her distress as she met his gaze that she swore she could see an amusement in before he cleared his throat, "You wouldn't have a problem with that would you?, I wouldn't want to inform your boss on what a lack this company has, and an employee----"

"It won't be a problem Mr. Matthews," she clenched her nails against her palm almost drawing blood, imagining it was him she was hurting.

She swore she could see a victory flick in his gaze before he nodded curtly, "I believe my secretary can show your way-out Ms. Cole,"

Her eyes bore back on him until she quickly looked away as the secretary came in,

"Have a good day, Ms. Cole," he said as she turned to follow the woman,

Felicity grumbled all the curses she could think of silently as she headed for the door, his voice making her back tense, "What did you say?" his taunting voice came quickly

It wasn't that he could hear was it?

Not daring to look back walked ahead and replied loudly, "I wished you a splendid day Mr. Matthews!" and with that she left his study with thousand thoughts swirling inside of her mind,

Asher Matthews had not changed, his temper, his behaviour that showed no care for a single thing. He still could make her rattled by only a single glance, and at the same time the man had changed more than she could possibly believe. In all those years she had hoped the world would curse him and that he would become unattractive, seemed like the world was not that kind to her, the scandal sheets she readed stating the truth, he was even more striking handsome than she remembered, those eyes that hadn't grown from trouble, muscles and that tall length.. he looked like a devil, a handsome one.

The only difference is that he now had no meaning in her life besides the work, he was a piece of task. he was not the Asher She knew, used to love. Like the once intimate summer that seemed to now had never occurred. Forever pushed back in her mind.

He was now simply Mr. Matthews, an companion to Lawson industries

And she was Rebecca Cole, here to finish her work.

__________________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT