23. My lucky charm

Chapter 23

The place was huge, like a ceremony taking place, and the first thing she noticed was how extravagant it was, then she felt the multiple pair of gazes, everyone had stopped speaking and turned their eyes on the entrance where she was almost flushed against Asher who had insisted she needed to stay right at his side.

She was not a dog with a leach!

Her annoyance didn't hold for to long when his low murmur entered her ears, "That is Mr. Butterfield," he informed as an old man with spectacles started approaching them, her insides rattled with excitement, "I know who he is, he is the inventor of mega circle, a remarkable man" she replied back, he owned lots of factories and buildings around England and it was said that he was a very famous businessman, she had read articles and had begged her father to take her with when he had told her one day he would work with him,

Of course her pleas was dismissed.

But she was here now, not with her father. But instead with Asher Matthews, a man she never thought would ever leave the doors of clubs and gambles,  "Mr. Butterfield, pleased to make your acquaintance," Asher shook the hand of the businessman briefly, The sixty year old man chuckled with a rough voice that said he smoked cigarettes more than his next breath, "Asher Matthews, the pleasure is all mine," his crooked teeth showing In a smile, his gaze drifted towards her and she felt a bubble in her stomach, god it was true, she was here, in front one of the most successful business men, Asher was the first to speak in the trance she was in, "Mr. Butterfield, I would like you to meet my project advisor Ms. Lawson" he said and for a brief moment Felicity felt her lungs squeeze until it felt like she weren't alive, weren't it for the presence of him beside her she perhaps would've fainted.

Had he just said she was his project advisor? She? No it possibly couldn't be true, she must have heard it --- Mr.Butterfield answered, "Project advisor you say?, Nice to meet you, Ms.Lawson," he stopped as if to dwell on something before he continued with a dry chuckle, "it is not every day a female is seen working in this field," The old man chest rumbled with chuckles

So she wasn't dreaming? Asher had announced she was his Project advisor? Surely he wasn't playing a cruel joke on her,

Asher regarded him not intimidated, "Well I have gotten lately in the influence of the Germany and Belgique, it seems that England is graduating  poorly compared to them, and seemed like they had the help of women in their fields, you know as they say, 'intelligence is the ability to adapt a change'" Asher continued with a laugh that Mr.Butterfield joined, he met her gaze again, "that is very true young man, indeed a change is quite needed, speaking of change would you like joining the rest of the men for cigar"

"We look forward to that," he nodded and the man seemed to not miss the we meaning her in his comment, he didn't correct on that and with a nod briefly walked past them,

As he left, felicity was on the brink of throwing her arms around him and kiss him senselessly, "You—you told him I was project advisor?" she felt her voice crack and quickly cleared it, but it appeared that he caught it because back came his light smirk that would have irritated her any other time until now, "So I did," his short reply made her almost roll her eyes, the man could be a tease when he wanted,

"Why? Why did you do that?"

"Was it not the position you always wanted?" he calmly replied and she freeze for a moment, he had read the notes she had written endlessly when her tasks of brining him coffee, organizing his files, managing his documents were done, she would scribble down her goals and dreams and a whole presentation to a new idea that could ignite the company after she heard they faced difficulties, she thought she placed it in a discreet hidden counter, seemed like the man knew locks and keys all to well, but she couldn't even feel a tiny bit of anger or rage that he went through her things, instead she felt a warm feeling spread through her body like a thunderbolt, all of a sudden she felt small and shy, "Thank you.." she spoke quietly diverting her gaze from his quickly,

"I am afraid I didn't hear you?" he was doing it on purpose, his teasing tone said it all, she sighed and raised her voice, "I said I am thankful,"

"Are you?" he drawled and for a second she was afraid he would have told her he was pranking her like old times, like when they were kids, her eyes widen in horror, "Your not jesting with me are you?"

He laughed, the sound making her toes curl, "I can show you exactly how much I am jesting when we meet Mr. Yard and Mr. Armstrong, you will need to be present for this upcoming project that I now have placed in your hands, are you capable of it or have I made a poor choice?"

She felt her cheeks hurt from the smile that stretched her whole face, "You most definitely wont be disapproved! I will make sure of it,"

He nodded, "Adequate," he then proceeded to introduce her further to plenty of businessmen, she had registered their face into her memory, all from tall lanky men to broad sculptured ones, they all regarded her as if she had horns in her head once Asher introduced her, hearing her work for a very wealthy company was like startling news, but no one dared to utter a word in front of Asher, but she could hear the whispers and words past her.

After several introductions and engaging in economical and planning subjects she could see that it went positively as she presented the new idea of the company and what it could bring to strength their relations with others, "That will do, if we increase the stocks it most likely would convince those snobbish Italians and Russians"

Asher for the first time sent her a look that had her whole stomach flip, it was a raw look in his eyes that showed a pridness she had never gotten before, Asher broke the spell and cleared his throat turning his attention back to the men, "It indeed will, I have plenty of trust in my employees who will bring satisfactory to our future plans Mr. Smith, Mr. Yard, I see it that I have your word in this agreement,"

They regarded each other and shared a brisk nod, "You do, and we look forward to any upcoming cooperation's, if your schedule allows it, we hope to see you at lunch in our resident,"

They departed and the smile that Asher sent her had her breath knock out of her lungs, "You woman have made us third times wealthier..." he shook his head with a smile dancing upon his lips still, she couldn't believe she was hearing right, he gestured her to the outdoor of the place, lots of people had left from displeasure of agreements but not the same could be said for Matthews company now, once the breeze of the weather hit her face she saw him drape her cloak over her as he pulled her back into the awaiting carriage, "How did you come up with that? Have you any idea in weeks how Mr. Lincoln, Mr. Shawn, Mr. Walt had all tried to come up with an new project that would seal the deal? None of them was even near to what you had mapped," he was in an adrenaline rush that had her surprised, she had never seen him this joyful, and it continued to shocken her when he grasped her face and leaned very close, "It seems that I have to keep you.... You are after all my lucky charm"

My lucky charm...

She couldn't form words, he was making her feel like a school girl, all stammering and shy that it felt abnormal, "It—It wasn't that difficult really, I just imagined what I would want if I were them, then I tried making it reasonable for our own pursuits, then it all came together,"

He was watching her as if she said something crazy, "Who knew that a master mind was inside of you, I had always knewn you were something but I had never known exactly for what purpose.."

She felt something that frightened her and both shocked her, if this was how he reacted to her everytime she did something great, how the hell would she prevent herself from this urge to kiss him senselessly, because no one had ever seen her as anything?.

_______________________________

            VOTE AND COMMENT