31. Challenge

Chapter 30

"Your secretary?" her voice cracked and he could hear the depth of hurt, what a cunning woman she was, to act oblivious in front of him when all the puzzles had came in place.

She would dare to use water tactics with him, her eyes watering, he dismissed Mr. Lincoln and stood up from his chair, turning his back against her he didn't trust the fuelling emotion inside of him, what he wanted to do was to scream at her, throttle her, how could she had chosen Mr. Hunt, robbed him to help the man, while acting so innocently, and god he would have fell for it were it not for the several confirmations from his employees, pointing their fingers at her, she was the last person here before the cash were gone, she were the one who had spent the time in his study the longest, brought him coffee all those months, organised his desk, managed his plans.

But he didn't tell her that, no he would act oblivious as her, "You were late, I do not take things lightly Ms. Lawson,  there is multiple of employees who show up in time and don't make a fool out of me," he bit out sharply his jaw clenched.

He turned violently at the sound of her mutterings, it sounded like she was cursing him, "What did you just say?"

She threw up her hands in the air, "That I don't bloody understand! Just yesterday you were enthusiastic about my work, I know I have been not in time precisely as you wanted, but god if I haven't put time in my work, I have worked for this position, you cannot rip it from me without a reasonable cause,"

He held the urge to slam her against the wall and do all the things that his mind were drifting towards, instead he turned sharply, "Reasonable cause? Perhaps you have been well comfortable upon my treatment towards you, count it as a mistake , and Ms. Lawson, I have fired 13 employees just this week so do not think I cannot take greater measure. You do not want to argue with me,"

Her eyes widen at his words, he could sense her fighting herself before she settled with silence, he nodded curtly, "I believe you understand, now I want you everywhere and anywhere I am, I trust you with my schedule and documents," he stopped to find any glimmer in her eyes that could detect that she wanted to keep track of him as he thought to find, but what he saw was disappointment in her gaze as she muttered in a reply, "Yes,"

He was about to continue but a knock on the door interrupted him, "Do come in," he called and lifted his gaze to the door, Mr. Lincoln was the first to enter before a woman walked behind, "Sir, it seemed like Ms. David is here for the issue with the marketing plan,"

Asher frowned, he had turned down that marketing plan weeks ago, perhaps the letter hadn't reached the man yet, after all he resided in Essex. The woman suddenly spoke, "My brother isn't in town, perhaps you think I can't handle the settlement? Do believe it is not my first time so do not doubt me sir," the woman smiled in a way he think hoped would enchant him, she was beautiful he would give her that, her hair was dark and her eyes as well, but he did not even feel a surge of anything, how could he when the most enchanting woman was in the same room?.

"Do enter, Ms. David," he muttered and saw how Felicity turned towards the door, "I have not said you were dismissed," he spoke with hard tone that made Ms. David stop in tracks.

"Sir, I thought to give you privacy," her words sounded strained, he narrowed his eyes on her, "You thought wrong, as my secretary there is no privacy," he searched for any trace of excitement in her eyes but she seemed to find his words irritating, the way her eyes was about to glare at him.

"Do take a seat, Ms. David, my secratery will just write down what is being said," he told as the dark hair woman was the first to react, she sent a questioning glance at Felicity and he sensed a displeasure, perhaps he was only imagining it, Felicity followed his words and started tapwriting.

Ms. David cleared her throat, using a silky soft voice, "Mr. Matthews, I hoped to ask for forgiveness on the head of my brother, he is known to be stubborn and hard-headed when he wants to, as they say in Germany it is the elements of a strong entrepreneur, but he has no idea how it have been a tool for our family, our history, your father and Mr. David normally agreed on terms,"

The woman was here to appeal against the issue that took place a few weeks ago, well Asher would tell her exactly what he thought of that, "Ms. David your brother has not brought an progress that our company needs, while I do understand your concern Ms. David, I am afraid the matter has nothing to do with my company"

The woman sobbed to his surprise, "But—But wouldn't you let us present an idea for this weeks, Kenneth Co has so much to show, we know that you strive for big as well,"

Asher regarded her with a deep thought, after everything that had taken place he needed to strength the bond with his co-operators, and giving Kenneth Co a chance would perhaps be clever, he would of course take great carefulness on signing anything, "Alright, you inform Mr. Davids he has ten days to present,"

The woman jumped from her chair and circled around his desk, he almost froze as she threw her hands over him, "Thank you! Thank you so much"

"Ms. David" he dragged her hand away from him and she scrambled away as if she realised, "Oh, do forgive me" he couldn't miss the chuckle in her tone. His eyes flew to Felicity immediately, her hands on the tapwriter stilled, her eyes met his and he saw a flash of something he couldn't pintpoint what, but it left as quick as it came.

"Mr. Lincoln will show you out," he muttered to the woman who retreated and turned with a smile, "My brother will be endlessly thankful"

Asher doubted that, the man was full of himself. As the door clicked, he turned to Felicity, regarding her silently as he held his ink pencil between his fingers, her strawberry hair locks fell across her eyes and he had the urge to ran his hand through it, remembering the silky texture as he kissed her, clearing his throat he spoke, "Have you written every word?"

"Yes sir," her short reply irked him, he hadn't gotten anything that shown she wanted this position, if she was out for robbing him, she would have leaped with joy on being his secretary.

Or could it be that she was so skilled in disguising?

He had so called challenges waiting for her, after a long discussion with Lincoln he and the man had came with an idea to find out the truth once and for all

And this time she wouldn't get away with it.

________________________________

         VOTE AND COMMENT