Chapter 10

Learning the different houses under the name of Agriche  wasn't hard and I have memorized them by the end of the second day of living here. There are four separate houses, where we are right now is the main estate.

Past the forest, there should be two bridges, one leads to the left the other just goes forward, walk straight and you'll find yourself at the foot of the West Estate. It's a guest house for the duke's most trusted people and for extended family.

If you take the left bridge, then you'll end up in the South estate which is technically abandoned now. It used to be where the children of the duke and duchess resided but then the past duke decided otherwise and let the children stay in the main house. After that it became the estate for the duke's lovers. But after Dion took the title, it had been abandoned ever since.

The East Palace is important to the duke. Whoever resides there are people that the duke takes interest in or in Dion's case people the duke contemplates in killing.

And I just hope that he sent Rashta in the east estate for the second option. Currently, she's enjoying a warm bowl of soup that was specially made for her to eat.

Dion and Medea are hard to read. They're not transparent and that makes me annoyed. Annoyed that I couldn't see the intention behind Dion's actions. Annoyed that I couldn't read them like the other people in the estate.

It is said that the east estate is where the duke keeps his harem of women. But since Dion's father, the east estate is close to being like the south one. Abandoned and probably haunted.

"The East estate?" I was just passing by dad's office. The door is closed but with the volume of Medea's voice, it's obvious that she's mad.

"Calm down. You're misunderstanding me" Is she though? If word got out that a woman came here and is living in that particular house then the whole world will misunderstand.

"I need to keep a close eye on her. We don't know her origins or intentions. The east estate is one closest to this house" he explained. No hint of annoyance in his voice.

But he's right. We don't know why she's here or how she's here. All we know is that Roxanna found her in the woods, close to bleeding out. And we just have to take her word that she didn't cause that stab cause judging from how they were raised. That is highly unlikely.

Rashta looks like a nice person. She also looks like a person who would suit the role of a concubine.

Ugh, what am I thinking? Dion wouldn't take her in as one. Would he?

***
"Cheer up. Frowning will make you age faster" Not helpful, Lucas. "Do you think dad likes her? Rashta, I mean" They all looked at me, it looked like they also had this discussion earlier.

"Who knows? We don't know the meaning behind all of dad's actions. He may have a reason. Entering this estate is a big deal for aristocrats, even more so if you get the privilege to stay for the night. So if word got out that a woman is staying at the east estate then it'll be the talk of the town for months" Leilin isn't the one to look deep into trivial matters. If there's a solution, then there's a solution. But we don't even know the problem. Or if there really is one.

"Don't be so negative. Dad's probably keeping her there in the meantime and will punish her for trespassing" As always, Benjamin shrugs off the conversation.

I agree with Benjamin but also agree with Leilin. But the fact that even Medea's demeanor changed when Dion ordered the butler makes me more curious. I just hope that we're all wrong and that there are no other meaning behind it. Other than keeping her close enough to investigate.

***
"The doctor did advise me bed rest but the wound wasn't that deep and it doesn't hurt anymore. So i got out to get some fresh air" My arms were crossed against my chest.

We were just having our normal peaceful afternoon walks and we had to bump into her. I'm not being rude. But somehow, whenever I see that smile on her face, it makes me want to crawl under a log and die, but I think it's too early for that.

"Well, if you're capable then I see no problem. Make sure that you look after her. Don't let her go anywhere that's restricted" Lucas tilted his head, directing his last sentence to the maid beside Rashta.

Her smile never left her face the entire time we were talking to her. We walked past her but we were still in earshot when she said something to her maid "The duke is so kind to let me stay. I should visit him tonight and give him my thanks with a present. Can you show me where his room is?"

My heart began to beat faster. No way will that maid would say yes.

"Yes, of course. I'll give you the full tour of the mansion before you move to the East estate" I turn my head, ready to tell the maid to not show father's room but Lucas placed his hand on my shoulder, as if telling me to not say anything and to just keep on walking.

I shouldn't worry. Mom and dad sleep in the same room but the problem is that they both work until late at night.

Why does she even need to give a gift? I know that Dion isn't the type to accept any gift unless if it's from us.

And if she really only wants to show her thanks then she doesn't need to go to his room to do so. She could hand her gift to the butler and he can bring it to dad. Easy and you wouldn't have to risk your head.

But she wouldn't really go inside his room, right? I hope.