Chapter 43

"Can't dad just uninvite her?" Benjamin asked and Lucas shook his head. "You can't just uninvite a guest brother, its very rude" Leilin said, "but he knows what happened during their last meeting" Benjamin reasoned. But still, you can't cancel an invitation unless an emergency comes up that forces them to do so and we certainly can't fake any deaths here.

"Benjamin-" Lucas started but was quickly cut off "Lucas weren't you the one who offered to cut off the hands of the duke?" Benjamin said, "yes but-" "see! Isn't it enough reason that we hate them?" Benjamin cuts him off again. "Will you stop cutting me off" The annoyance that accompanied his voice made Benjamin silent. "Yes, I threatened to cut off the dukes hand and yes, I hate them but we can't let those petty fights become the reason to act rudely towards a neighboring duchy which, by the way, can taint our own reputation" he lectured then turned to look at me.

"What do you think, Keira?" He asked, "huh?" I looked back at him, as if anything I say will change dad's mind and the mind of society. "Brother Lucas is right, we can't just act rashly, they'll come and go, we just have to put up with them for a few weeks then their out the door. We've put up with Rashta until now, I'm sure they're more simpler to handle"

"Seriously? You too?" Benjamin sounded annoyed nobody agreed with him but to be honest, we also don't want them here, but like Lucas said, we shouldn't let our pettiness be the reason to have a bad mark on our reputation.

"Now that's settled" Lucas said, leaning back, "I just can't figure out a reason for us to be friendly to them" we looked at each other, knowing that we all had the same problem. "When are they arriving?" Leilin asked, cutting the silence, "no clue, it can be today or tomorrow or next week" I said, distracted as I fiddled with the pieces on a chess board. Benjamin let out a sigh, though it sounded more like a groan.

"I'm really curious how those two interact though" Leilin admits, "Cossette and Rashta?" She nods, "I mean, how did those two meet in the first place?" "I guess we'll find out soon" I knocked over the king using the knight, things just got a little more..interesting.

*

"Now remember, keep your chin up, smile only when it feels right" Lucas reminded us as we stood in a neat line side by side, waiting for the carriage with the very well know crest of Parvis engraved on it. I lightly tapped my foot impatiently, looking at anything but the gate, I looked over at my parents, my dad was checking up on the prepared guest room for Cosette. Normally, she's meant to stay in the West Palace but due to Rashta's request, she's staying in the mansion with us.

I could tell the carriage is near with the light rumble of the ground and because I can hear the wheels hitting the pavement. I continued to stare at the fountain in front of us, dreading the audible sound of metal scrapping metal as the gate opened. The distant neigh of a horse made my attention dart to the carriage which I didn't realize was already about to come to a halt.

I couldn't look away anymore, it was too late, I've made eye contact with Cosette, "Welcome, Princess of Parvis" my father greeted, staring down at her so intensely even I was intimidated, "Its nice to once again see you Duke" she said in the same joyful tone Rashta uses, so that's what they have in common, alright, note taken.

"I believe we didn't leave each other a good impression, let me introduce myself again, I am Cosette Parvis, I hope you treat me with care during my stay" she bowed, slightly lifting the left side of her dress, her fingertips gently holding onto the fabric while her right hand was on her chest.

"I hope you find your stay comfortable" Lucas said, watching as Cosette straightened her back, regaining her poise posture a while ago, dad left the butler responsible for guiding her to her room and leading her Rashta.
— —
Watching them interact in the garden made me feel like a jealous friend who's watching their best friend become the best friend of another person. Its not like I'm jealous of their relationship, its the least I need to be concerned for, I'm just curious on how it even started.