Chapter 15

I've heard about the Vasilios Empire through books and maids. They said that the empire was beautiful, filled with flowers all season long, even in winter. Now that I'm seeing it for myself, it doesn't do the empire justice. "Please let us inspect the carriage before you enter" Imperial Knights surrounded the entrance of the gate, our mother nods and we get out of the carriage to let them do a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

Once they were done, we advanced into the village. Medea was silent and so were we. Dad and mom had a long talk about this but in the end, Medea won that battle and Dion allowed us to go. He stayed behind because of all the paperwork and the meetings that he'll have to attend and probably because she's trying to avoid trouble while we're here.

She admitted that she had no plans of returning but she felt the sudden urge to meet her friends who were left behind here. The carriage stopped in front of the main road, the door opened and she stepped out, we followed after her and took in the warm breeze. Ah finally, I was getting tired of the cold air.

"Are you kids hungry?" She turned to look at us. We all murmured yes in unison, she was quiet when we walked towards the nearest restaurant while the four of us were a babbling mess, all talking over the other. Mom wasn't acting cold, I could tell that it's just taking a while for her to get used to her surroundings again. Maybe the years that she'd spent in the North made her forget about this place.

"May we get a private area to dine in?" She requested and the host didn't even hesitate to say yes. He led us to an area that was covered with a purple curtain, a white table cloth covered a rectangular table, a vase of purple hyacinths were placed in the middle of it.

"I'd take a medium well steak" Lucas didn't even look at the menu, "Oh, I'd take that too" Ah yes, the two steak lovers. "I'll have smoked salmon" Leilin looked at me "I'll have some lamb" I said as I watched Benjamin take a breadstick from a basket and bit it. I reached for one and also started to eat it, never knew breadsticks could taste this good. "I'll just have some tea" The host left at once and Medea sighed. "You're not hungry mom?" I asked, she shook her head "No. I ate a lot earlier" she smiled.

The news of her return must've already spread. Countless of people were whispering when we made our way here. Even the other people at the restaurant started to murmur once we entered. "Keira, do you want the last one?" Benjamin offered the now nearly empty basket of complementary breadsticks, I refused. "Nope, You can have it" He shrugged and grabbed the last stick but before he can even put it inside his mouth, Lucas steals it and bit half of it which of course made Benjamin annoyed.

"seriously?" he turned to the older boy and Lucas looked back at him, he ate the other half of the stick while still looking at his brother. I giggled. "Don't get too bitter over a piece of bread, brother" Lucas smirked at him when I said that, "I'm not getting bitter that he ate it. I'm annoyed because you snatched it right out of my hand" he grunts and both Leilin and I erupt in laughter with how childish our older brother is being.

A few minutes went by and the food was finally served. We ate over conversations and laughter, once we were finished, we were able to look around the village and of course Leilin didn't leave without buying something, this time it was a necklace with opal as its gemstone.

"You can never stop yourself from spending can you" Lucas crossed his arms, looking directly at his younger sister. "If we only stash away the money, then what's the point of being rich?" She answered, imitating the pose of Lucas. "It's not like I'm selfishly spending money for myself. Every amount I pay gives the store owner the ability to buy their families food for at least a month. We also donate remember?"

Lucas considered her point and just looked out the window. "Come to think of it, it's your first time to see grandfather, right Keira?" Benjamin looked at me, I nodded "Is there anything I need to keep in mind about him?" Benjamin looked at mom then back at me "No. just make sure to not make him mad"

The carriage arrived at the front steps that led to the doors of the house. The mansion was definitely smaller than our house but it doesn't fail to show that it's definitely a noble house. "We welcome you back, Lady Medea" a butler greets us at the entrance, maids took our luggage and to our rooms. "The duke is expecting you in his study" wow, he didn't even come down to greet his daughter.

"Lucas, do you mind looking after your siblings for a bit?" Medea looked at him, "I don't mind, I've been doing it for 15 years" Mom didn't ask him because he was the oldest, she asked him because she knows that she's more responsible than Benjamin or Leilin. They know something that I don't.

"I'll be back soon, you can look around the house" she said, "Okay! Don't worry, we'll behave" I smiled and that seemed to warm her heart a little. "Come Keira, We'll show you the garden" Lucas took my arm and dragged me outside "If you'll pull me like that again I'll-" My words stopped from leaving my mouth when I saw the magnificent sight in front of me.

What really stood out to me was the green house, a glass one. "Wow" I said when we entered, there was a small tree at the corner and a fountain in the middle, "pretty right?" Lucas watched as I looked around, "Yeah but I still like the garden at our house more" Lucas smiled "I couldn't agree more"

Meanwhile

"Father" Medea greets the man behind the table, "You've returned, Medea" He placed his pen down and looked at his daughter "Not for long, I'm only here to check on my friends" Unlike earlier, her eyes and voice was cold.

"Ah, those little pests that kept on clinging to you? Especially that blonde one, what was her name again? Psyche? I still can't believe you made your rival into your friend" He leaned back and stared intently at Medea.

"Well, there's such thing called development. People change but I can clearly tell that you haven't" there was visible blood at the edge of the table which insisted that someone tried to grab it, her father's hand didn't seem to be injured so it's most likely not his blood but more likely a maid or butlers blood.

Of course his abuse towards his servants continued and became more violent after his daughter left the empire. She could've been empress if only she and the son of Agriche didn't develop feelings for each other. She choose the son of their rival family instead of the crowned prince.

Just the thought that his daughter purposefully wasted her opportunity to bring their family up just because someone came and swept her up her feet made his blood boil. It took everything in the duke's body to not stand up and slap Medea. But it seems like he can't stop himself any longer, It has been a while since he last saw his daughter bleed after all.