Chapter 11

Mom hasn't left her study all day. Maybe she has but I haven't seen her around since her earlier conversation with dad.

I wanted to knock on her door but decided otherwise, I don't want to disturb her.

"And this is the youngest lady's room" I hear voices behind my closed bedroom door. "Between the four of them, who has the biggest room?" Rashta asked in a high pitched voice.

"I guess they all have the same room size. It's just that the young ladies have more things than the young masters so it looks like their rooms are bigger than Lady Leilin and Lady Keira's" the maid explained. I looked at the gap underneath my door, they're still standing outside.

I would go out there and ask them if they needed anything but I'm still so full from supper that I just laid down on my bed while they talked about something.

"Now, the duke's room is just close by" I shot up, I heard their footsteps recede and once I was sure they were far enough, I cracked my door open and looked outside.

His room was at the end of the hallway so you'll have to turn the corner.

I peeked from behind the wall, they were right in front of his bedroom door. "I'll go fix up first before I go visit the duke" they were walking back towards me, I scurried to my room and tried to close the door as quietly as possible.

Once they've left, I told Allison that I'll be paying Dion a visit. I step out of my room and walked over to his.

"Daddy" I walked inside the room, it was sparkling clean from top to bottom. There was a massive king's bed in one side and a wooden table that's piled with papers at the other.

"I came to see you!" I throw my arms around his neck, nestling my head on his shoulder. He smells good.

He was about to say something when a knock came from his door which was followed by the door opening. "Your Grace!" Rashta walks in with that annoying smile on her face.

"Excuse me but it's rude to just barge in here without even waiting for the duke to let you in" I could feel a smile forming on Dion's face. "What do you need?" Dion's voice became serious

"Rashta came to give you this, as a sign of my appreciation for the duke" she placed a blue box in front of us.

"I hope you like it. I asked the butler to get it for me since I cannot leave the mansion yet" My eyes were locked on the box on the table.

"Where did you get the money?" Both Dion and I looked at Rashta "oh um, I borrowed some money" Dion didn't push the matter further.

"What's in the box?" He asked. I stared at the blue box again then it hits me. When I first saw it I had a feeling like I've seen the box before, now I know where I've seen it from.

Benjamin bought an identical box before when we attended the festival. If my memory doesn't trick me the contents of the box were..

No, no no no no. There's no way that's what's inside that box.

"Oh, it's just a little something" the way that she said it was weird. Dion reached for the box and looked at Rashta suspiciously.

He opened the box and I felt like I fainted for a split second. Cufflinks. Red cufflinks were carefully placed on the square cushions inside the box.

"Cufflinks?" Dion tilted his head "Mhm, they're the same color as your grace's eyes" she smiled. But Dion only gave her a cold look

Rashta looks like she was oblivious to the meaning behind giving someone this sort of gift but it's also obvious that she's playing dumb. If I can see that then I'm sure Dion can also.