Chapter 1: New Students

Ash's POV
     I tap my pen on my desk as I wait for class to start. I skim over the room, watching other students in the classroom. Some fumble through their bags looking for last night's homework, while others chat with friends, most scroll through their phones. I am quite fond of watching other students from my perch at the back of the classroom. Often I find I learn much from watching them than any of the lessons the teacher has taught.
Soon my attention wandered to students two I do not recognize, a boy and a girl.     My eyes light up, something new, how interesting. The two looked quite different, but they seemed to act like siblings.
     The boy has fluffy brown hair that goes to his chin and his skin is a dark tan. He looked to be latino. He looked slightly annoyed but even so, I honestly found him kinda cute. I even gound myself staring, leading me to almost look directly into his dark brown eyes drawing his attention, but luckily he seemed more focused on his conversation with the girl.
She had quite a pale complexion and bright blue eyes. She had a bright smile on her face and looked quite approachable, especially compared to her companion.   I could see her face more
clearly as most of her platinum blonde hair was pulled back. There was a strange feeling drawing
me towards them. I almost went to talk to them but before I had time to consider that idea, the bell started ringing signaling the start of class.
     Ms Janeth started the class. It appeared today's lesson was about the area of a triangle. I already knew most of the things they taught so I never bothered to pay attention. I decided to once again focus instead on the new students.
     "I have a question.", the boy says loud enough for the teacher to hear.
     "Then raise your hand.", Ms Janeth replies.
     "Uh, which one?" the brown-haired boy asks, confused.
     "Either one will do."
      "Back home, I have four of them." Everyone seemed to ignore that comment. I narrowed;my eyes. Arcadia is home to many strange creatures but the seam is especially strange. The boy is now raising both of his arms in the air.
     "Do you have a question, Mr. Tarron?" she asked him. So, I have a last name, it seems familiar like something I have heard before.
     "Do you have a Daxial Array?", the Tarron boy asked. A daxial array what was a daxial array. The question clearly annoyed Ms Janeth,
     "We are talking about triangles."
     "Hardly, you forgot to account for the triangle's area when applied to the fourth dimension", he said and I shot up straight in my seat at his words. I had my suspicions before, but this confirmed them. He moved to the board and continued talking.
     "The fluctuations of the hypotenuse alter the triangle’s shape." The boy continued to talk and I rolled my eyes. He was not human and was clearly horrible at pretending to be one. As annoyed as I was, I could not help but be fascinated as I watched him work. His hands moved across the board quickly and the mark squeaked as it wrote strange symbols. No high school student was that smart. It intrigued me as much as pissed me off. The rest of the class is rather uneventful.
(Time Skip)
     Gym class is one of my favorites, even if I had to consciously hold back, but that did make it a slight challenge. It was also a class I shared with the new students. From listening to
them talk I had learned their names. The girl was Aja and the cute boy was Krel. Their names seemed so familiar, but I could not quite remember where I had heard it before.
     I keep pondering this as I start to climb up the rope. My progress is slow and I am so very careful of my speed, making me seem unsteady. I want to show off and dash up the rope as fast as I can, but no human could do it that fast and that is the part I have to play.
     "I love challenges", Aja exclaims startlingly me and causing me to slip down the rope leaving me nearly out the bottom. Coach Lawrence explains that every student should be able to climb the rope and ring the bell.
    He can barely finish before, Aja is up the rope and furiously ringing the bell. I can not help but grin. I reach my bell a moment later and join her in ringing it. I have a feeling as much distaste as I have for her recklessness, we are going to be good friends.
     "Next challenge please", Aja says and she starts to swing from rope to rope. I quickly slid down mine, landing ever so gently on the floor.
(Time Skip)
     Why was I sneaking around the school at 6 PM? To put it simply, I knew Aja and Krel were supposed to be there and I want to find out a little more about them before formally introducing myself. I also just have a fondness for sneaking around. I adored the thrill of possibly getting caught.
     "Home? This isn't our home", I heard Aja's voice from the other side of the door.
     "Our home has been stolen from us by General Morando." as I listened to Aja, I felt a small pang. I knew what it was like to be forced to an unfamiliar place for a reason out of your
control.
     General Morando, with that name the pieces, snapped into place. That is why their names were so familiar. I had already been watching them, I just did not recognize them in their
new human forms.