Chapter 7: The Science Fair

I decided this morning I would go see what Aja and Krel were up to. So I shifted into my human form and teleported straight into their kitchen. Mom-blank was making pancakes and Dad-blank was reading the newspaper. Aja must have not woken up yet. Krel seemed to be focused on how to win the science fair. He looked up in surprise.
"When did you get here", he asked.
"You let a fae into your house", I said, "And a teleporting one at that"
Krel accepted this answer and went back to focusing on the science fair. I sat on the bar and peered over his shoulder. Aja walked into the room and grabbed a plate and one of the pancakes on the ceiling fell onto her plate.
"What in sweet Seklos are you rambling on about?", Aja asked him.
"The Arcadia Oaks High Science Fair, It's today," I say as another pancake falls onto my plate. I doused it in syrup and began eating it.
"Oh, Don't tell me you forgot", he said, grabbing a falling pancake.
"Okay, I won't tell you", Aja said. Krel looked very annoyed at this.
"Cut her some slack, she is probably just distracted", I say between bites of sugary sweet pancake.
"Yes I am, it is my first day of warrior training with Varvatos today", Aja said clearly excited.
"Indeed",I turned to face Varvatos," Varvatos will teach you the beautiful art of combat"
I believe he continued talking but I started to tune them out. I had my science fair project to focus on. It was going to be fun, I had gotten permission to use fire and borrowed some chemicals from the chem lab. I did even use my charm. I think they were just so glad that I was not doing a volcano and did not process that it might have not been the best idea.
Looks like Varvatos' first lesson was in patience. He was sitting in a chair and motioned for Aja to sit in the chair next to him.
"The greatest skill a warrior can hone is patience", Varvatos said, "like an Orpheus Viper, hiding in wait for its prey" I teleport between the two chairs.
"I agree, one who acts hastily rarely has a second chance to fix her mistakes", I say, expecting Varvatos to be annoyed, surprisingly he was not.
"I am losing patience with this lesson already", she said, looking annoyed and starting to get angry," You seem to forget that I helped you fight off the Zerons".
This was exasperating. She did not understand the importance of patience and I knew she probably would in time but I did not want her to get herself hurt. I teleported back to my seat and went to eat another syrupy pancake.
Krel got up and started to push a fairly large box.
"My entry for the fair of science requires two people to properly execute", he said, clearly struggling to push the box. He looked at me as if he hoped I would offer my help.
"Sorry, I have my own science fair project, which by the way is definitely winning the blue ribbon", I said half apologetic, half boastful. After that, he looked to his sister who was still struggling to sit still.
"Aja, I need to obtain the blue ribbon of scientific excellence, and prove my intelligence to Ash",Krel said.
"I do not doubt your intelligence, Krel, I doubt your charisma ,I say.
"Varvatos gather you desire a more active lesson", Varvatos said, "I think I saw where this was leading. She smiled excitedly. I smirked, I do not believe this is anymore the training she was hoping for.
"Yes, exactly"
"Assist the King-in-waiting with his ribbon quest"
"What"
"Aiding you allies most important for an honorable warrior"
Aja groans as Krel continues to struggle.
"Sitting and Science Fairs", Aja said, "What kind of warrior training is this?"
Varvatos stands up and starts yelling, "The kind where you do what Varvatos tells you to"
Aja finally starts helping her brother. Varvatos motioned for me to stay and I did so.
"Varvatos wonder why you interjected in Varvatos' lesson", he asked.
"I was always planned on helping train her", I said simply, "A good warrior learns from multiply place, that how Circi taught me"
"If Varvatos does not approve of you training her", he said. I could not help but giggle. I turned my head slightly to the side and stared directly into his eyes.
"When you fell into my town and I promised to help them in any way I could, I will do as I see fit", My tone was slightly eerie and I know my eyes gleamed with fire even in my human form.
(Time Skip)
Soon we arrived at school, I tried to help guide them through but they still bumped into several people. Including Shannon who's volcano was destroyed. Aja apologized to her.
I took a table right next to Krel's and started setting mine up. I pulled out several dishes, poured small amounts of chemicals, and mixed them with a little bit of water. I then carefully labeled each chemical in front of the dish.
I place several pairs of goggles off to the side and a tall candle in the direct center.
I look over at Aja and Krel. What was he thinking? He was not going to win first place with that. They won't understand it.
"The greatest minds on earth will judge the fair", Krel said, how cute he thinks that it is not just the teachers. I shake my head and smile. He is adorable. Adorable, what I am thinking. I shake it off and finish preparing my project.
I tie my hair back and put a pair of goggles on. Only because it is proper procedure and I am trying to get an A. I watch as Coach becomes increasingly annoyed with the amount of baking soda volcanos. They turned into my stand and sighed in relief.
"Ah, Ash, what have you got for us?" Miss Janeth asked, I handed both the teacher goggles, and lit a match. I briefly explained the science behind it and how different chemicals were used in fireworks. I loved how the flames changed color but I was careful to keep the flame low. After I put out the flame they politely clapped and begrudgingly moved to the next Volcano. It was not a surprise when I got the blue ribbon. I felt a pang at the disappointment on Krel's face.
I couldn't take it. I walked off as soon as the ribbon was in my hand. I was a few feet away as Aja got barreled into by Jim Lake, the Trollhunter. The way their interaction went, it was clear he had gone throughout this day several times before and had not bumped into Aja before.
It was soon clear what was causing it, a troll, but he was holding something I just could quite see what. Usually, I would leave this to the Trollhunter and stay out of this, but Aja and Krel were here. It all happened so fast. A plant was hurled at us. Jim tries to use his amulet, but Aja was faster using her serator as a shield to stop. Everything goes black and I wake up in my bed.