Chapter 6: An Explanation

"Why have you brought one of the native life forms onto the ship?", said an old man with gray hair. His eyes were the same blue as Aja's. 
      "I owe them an explanation", I answered simply, taking a sip of the soda Krel and brought me barely looking up at him,  "You do not have to subject yourself to that form, I am already quite aware of what you are"
He started at me incredulity, then asked Ajal, "How does she know such information"
     "They were about to tell us that", Krel said, a little annoyed.
     "So, why, then, does the human not talk"
I stood up, smirked, and then stretched letting my human form melt away. I stretch my wings carefully so as not to knock anything over.
     "For one, I am most assuredly not human and for two I am simply good at watching", I said, my feline ear twitching.
     "Lively", Aja said, staring wide-eyed at me.
     "What even are you?", Krel asked with curious fascination. I smiled impishly, showing my pointed teeth.
     "A faerie, a fey, one of the fair folk, a creature humans have feared and envied, and written off as mere legends for centuries", I replied.
     "Mother, search the database for the term “faerie”," Krel asked.
      A decidedly feminine voice replied, "A search of the term from my database describes it as "a type of mythical being or legendary creature found in the folklore of multiple European cultures” 
      "Why thank you that was very helpful", I said, then continued my explanation,
     "That is a general explanation, there are more specific but to explain that would take centuries"
     "That does not explain how you have found our secret," said Varvatos.
     "So impatient", I say, "I mean to someone like me it was too hard to figure you were not human. It only took a little jostling to shake the rest of the piece into place”
     "I mean I was on Acridion-5 on Krel and Aja's coronation day. Aja literally ran me over'', I said shifting into my Acridion disguise to accentuate the point. They all looked surprised.
     "What made you think I was only capable of mimicking humans?", I said.
     "If you don't mind me asking", Krel said,"How did you end up on Acridion-5"
     I only shrugged my shoulders and teleported across the room, "I honestly do not know, I did not think I was capable of going to a place I had never seen, but I am glad I did"
(Time Skip)
     "I have traced the metallic signature of the debris recovered to the Tiberian Dreadnought", Mother said after scanning the piece of the ship.
     "It can't be!" said Varotos.
     "Oh, It can", Mother replied," It would appear the lifeforms you encounter were the Zeron Brotherhood"
     "Commander Vex looks afraid, which makes me afraid," Aja said. Vex did look very worried.
     "Varvatos is never afraid," he replied to her, staring straight forward, "But for them, he is tempted to make an exception"
     "They are walking instruments of death," Vex continued, "The elicit fear, dread, and the occasional incontinence"
     "They sound like your kind of people", Krel said.
     "The Zerons are without honor", said Vex, "They have no respect for the rules of engagement"
     "Or civilians", Mother said," Countless graves have been filled their campaigns of terror"
     My tail bristles as I hear this. My mother, Circi, loved watching blood spilled on a battlefield, even though she agreed that in matters of war civilians stayed out of it.
     "Mother, show them the aftermath of the Commerce Guild bombing", said Varotos. We began walking off the platform and entered a scene from the past. Varotos was kneeling in front of King Fialkov, dull life cores surrounded both of them. Three held in Varotos hands.
     "The Commerce Guild bombing on Satellite-9", said Mother.
     "That's you...", Krel said, "And Papa"
     "The Zerons orchestrated the entire attack to apprehend one bounty", Vex said, My feline ear were flat against my head," They killed hundreds of living beings in the process, Varvato's family was amongst them"
     "Varvatos, we had no idea," Aja said.
     "I'm sure Papa brought them to justice", Krel said and shook my head sadly.
     “His family remains unavenged", I said quietly,
     "Your parents could not have authorized a pursuit of the Zerons, I am sure there were other things they had to consider"
     Varvatos looked angry at my words and the king. Then, he said,
     "We can not wait for them to find you", he continues as we walked,
     "We need to take the fight to them"
Krel briefly put a hand on his chests and said,
     "I'm sorry, Varvatos, about all of this, but at this point, we don't even know where the Zerons are"
Lugg was sniffing at the ship piece, it looked like we might have a lead to where they are. He ran past our feet.
     "Lugg. He picked up their scent. He can take us. Let's go", Aja said. She and her brother went to move forward, but Vex put up his arm to stop them saying,
     "Hold! Varvatos will protect the throne, as that is his sworn duty, and he will see that justice is served for his family"
     "And you", he pointed at me,"Watch them while Varvatos is otherwise occupied"
     "Yes, sir", I said with a smirk. I think Varvatos recognized me as a fellow warrior, a protector, a knight and with very few words with him, I had started to gain his trust. He went on saying about how he was in no danger. I shook my head as he left. As soon as he was gone. I grin at them,
     "So we going after him"
They both smiled back and Aja said, "Most definitely"
(Time Skip)
     We followed Varvatos to make sure to stay far enough behind that he could not see us. I did not have my wings as they would hurt any attempt to sneak around. We had followed Varvatos to an empty parking lot.
Street lamps turn on behind Vex. It was a creature that reminded me of depictions of Anubis was standing under it and said, "The indomitable Varvatos Vex, It will be an honor to slay you"
     "The honor of slaying will be Varvatos Vex's", Varvatos said serator in hand ready to fight he swung it around,"Varvatos will see to it you face a death without honor, but with Agony"
     They kept throwing verbal jabs at each other as they fought. Two more Zerons joined the fight and Varvatos seemed thrilled at this prospect. He was actually seemingly doing quite well. Though, I doubt it would last for long.
      "I may have an idea", I hissed at Krel, "Would there be parts on the ship that would help fix yours?"
     "Yes, They should be a subspace manifold", he replied.
     "What about Varvatos", Aja asked, "He is out number three to one"
     "You said you wanted some combat training", Krel said.
     "It's the perfect opportunity", I said with a smile, "Hope you do well in trial by combat"
Krel made his way to their ship. 
     “Hurry up”, He said.
     “I was working on it”, I said teleporting over to him, “But, you are the one who is slow”
After that slight bickering we had gotten onto the ship unnoticed.
     "If I was a subspace manifold where would I hide?", Krel said.
     "It is hidden", I said, confused, tilting my head to the side. He picks up a tablet with a photo of his family with their bounty’s marked.
     "Why is Aja's bounty higher than mine", he asked.
     "From what I have seen she would put up more of a fight", I replied. Suddenly Varvatos slammed into the ship.
     "Krel!Get back to the ship. Ash, I thought I told you to watch them, "
     “I am still watch them, you never told me to keep them on the ship”
     Obviously, Instead of doing as we were told we continued looking. Eventually, we found the subspace manifold.
"Guess, we must go to help our companions' ', I said as we left the ship. We found a truck. Krel managed to hot wire it. I sat on the roof as we picked up Aja and Varvatos 
"Hurry! They have their ship, they can outrun us", Varvatos said. I could not stop myself from laughing.