Chapter 5: Car Chase

Driver's Ed, why did I put myself through such torture. I have been driving since there have been cars. It did not even like the metal death traps but they were useful in certain situations. I need a driver’s license to legally drive one. So, I guess I must.
      I stand in line with Aja and Krel, as well as Eli, who is bouncing up and down, and Shannon.
      "Good Morning. Welcome to driver's ed." Coach said after blowing his whistle.
    "Your on-ramp to independence, the open road, and certain death," he said, getting in Aja's face.
       Coach kept lecturing but I did not care. I knew the royals were here for a reason. Krel goes to the hood of the car to pop it up but Coach stops him and claims the car is new, which it clearly is not.
       After even more lecturing, it is time to actually get in the car. Coach throws the keys, Eli reaches for them but I catch them. Coach tells him that he is on the advanced track, parallel parking.
     I get in the driver’s seat and adjust the seats,check the mirrors, and then, I buckle my seat belt.
   "What’s the first thing you do when you get behind the wheel?" Coach asks me, then turns to everyone in the back and says, "You pray! A car is a death trap" I could not help but agree, the iron was making me feel a little sick and definitely slowed my reaction.
    "Now we run through our pre-ignition checklists," he says, I nod.
     "Step one of 20, check your rearview." I check the rearview mirror. I have a feeling of weightlessness. There appears to be some sort of beam pulling us up.
    "Um, sister? I believe we have a problem." I hear Krel say. I hit the gas.
    "You're not following procedures", Coach protests.
     "Increase the acceleration," Krel orders me.
     "Absolutely not! Everyone out of the car", Coach says.
    "Wonderous idea, teachers first", I say, stopping to push him out of the car. Shannon was quick to get out of the car as well. I pull Krel into the front passenger seat as I push the gas against the floor.
    "Bounty hunters?", I ask calmly. Tilting the mirror to get a better view of the ship.
    "Probably", Krel replied "What do you even know about any of this?"
     "A long story for later, when out of danger", I say, speeding up as they start to gain on us.
     "What is that ship?", Aja asks.
     "Class A Dreadnought from Sector-7," said Krel. I serve to avoid the ship. Sending his face against the glass. I wince, followed by a quick apology.
      "There is no way that this car is out running that ship for much longer." I say, "Any ideas"
       "Well, I do have an optimizer for the fuel capacitor," Krel says, "Stop the car." The vehicle screeches to a halt and Krel gets out of it and lifts up the hood placing something inside.
       "Hurry up, they're coming back", Aja says. Krel quickly gets in the car. He turns on music and I start up the car once more. It is going much faster now and I can not help but grin.
         "This is lively", I hear Aja from the back seat. We are all laughing. We are coming up on Coach. I might have had a fast enough reaction time if the iron in the car and my human form had not slowed them, but as it was I was heading straight for him.
        "Little brother, shield," Aja says. Krel pulls out a serrator and creates a shield from it, sending us flying over Coach. It was spectacular.
       "Damn it, still is not enough," I say as we find ourselves most assuredly stuck in the beam.
      "I have an idea", Aja said, pulling out her serrator.
        "Oh great. Your serrator.", Krel says.
        "Don't worry", Aja replies, "You've seen me train."
         "I know. That's why I'm worried" Krel said as Aja kicked out the windshield.
         She aimed at the ship and said "Though I never trained for this." She fired then quickly shifted it to a shield. I saw the ship swing wildly out of control. Hopefully, It did enough damage to buy us some time to regroup.
(Time Skip)
    "I guess it is time for an explanation," I say as I walk with them to their house. I walk with them til we get to their house. They walk through the door and look at me expecting me to follow. When I do not they look at me confused.
     "Oh, I need verbal permission to enter someone's home", I say.
    "I guess you can come in", Krel says awkwardly.
     "Well, I guess I should start by clearing up what I am, then you can ask me any questions", I say, taking a seat on the couch, “And could I maybe get something to drink?”