Part 10

He was surprised by her honest statement. "And you apparently believe you determine who I date. That is beyond absurd!" Caleb knew she did not run in his social circles so would not know his character: They had no friends in common and until recently they had never met, so no real experience to rely on to form an opinion. Caleb added, "You have no ideas about my principles, values or standards, at all."

She snapped. "Difficult to ascertain, because you have none!"

He narrowed his eyes, and said firmly, "And the next time, when you identify your next victim, do some homework: research your target!"

"Next time?" she muttered. What next time. This experience was enough to squash any future meddling in strangers' lives! It was a bad idea. Poor executed. Awful conclusion.

"You do not know me at all."

Which was true, Jena accepted, so she whispered, with rueful smile, "True, Mr Harland." She said quietly. Then raised her eyes, and looked at him, her eyes met his and said bluntly, "But I assumed you would be a gentleman. Not sure why, exactly, in any case, your behavior shows I was utterly wrong!" So why was she still here, having this argument with him? She should have made her way to the door ages ago.

"You assumed correctly. If I were not a gentleman, I would have kicked you out. Facilitated with a boot to your rear!" He put his hands in the pockets of his expensive suit trousers, feigned boredom and added with open insolence, "Your unbelievable assumption that you would tell me what to do in my life and the fact that you thought I would consider substituting Melanie for you is..."

Jena drew herself to her full height of five foot eight inches, which was still well shy of his height by a good six inches and interrupted his sentence without hesitation. Her legs might not be moving but her tongue had no intention of being still, as she was not willing to accept fallacious and unfair comments. "I never suggested anything of the sort Mr Harland. I can't help it if you have an over the top imagination!" She told him, and with a haughty toss of her head.

"So why are you here, Ms Silva?"

"You know exactly why I am here." She sighed. "Anyone with one brain cell, would know why I am here. Clearly that one cell is missing in your head!" And my own head, she told herself.

Caleb nearly laughed. When was the last time that anyone challenged him? Or was brave enough to deal with disparaging statements.

Jena folded her arms and continued, "You just assumed I was throwing myself at you. As I said, your imagination is out of control!"

He snorted. "So why are you here?" Caleb was impressed by the fact she was still standing her ground.

She rolled her eyes, no point rehashing this discussion. So she unfolded her arms, and jab his chest with one finger, "I already told you! And for your" jab "information, you" jab, "believed I fancied you," jab "that demonstrates your" jab, "arrogance!" She took a step away when she realized she was touching him.

Caleb nearly laughed. He rubbed his jaw, his palm masking his mouth hiding the fact he was smiling. She was poking him! Like hammering a jelly pin into concrete.

She took another step and huffed when he said nothing, "And I would appreciate it if you stop trying to label me as a bully. Or embarrass me! Stop laughing at me." She squared her shoulders and tipped her chin. She was certain he was trying to hid the fact he was laughing at her.

"Me embarrassing you?" He asked with a blatant smile. "I am not embarrassing you, you are doing a good job on your own."

"Fine! And stop trying to scare me!" She adopted her schoolteacher's tone, and attitude: to explain quietly and address any behaviour concerns. "I came here to ask you to rethink your invitation to Melanie, because she is my cousin's fiancée."

Caleb snorted. Her voice still quiet and calm, she said, as if she was relaying a fact, while her pulse was racing with trepidations. "If you were a real gentleman, you would demonstrate that you have morals!" She sighed, "And I hoped, you would exhibit empathy for your fellow men! That is why I am here."

"My fellow men?" Caleb stifled his chuckle. This is why he found her enthralling.

Jena ignored the humour she read in his eyes. "I simply hoped you would review the situation. And act decently. I was counting on your, er, gentlemen, conduct!"

Drenched in sarcasm, he said, "And you think if I reviewed the situation I would take you as a substitution for Melanie?"

It would never occur to her to even think she could substitute herself for anyone and at any level. "For goodness sake! Of course not! N.O. No. N.O. No, Mr Harland! I did not come here to substitute Melanie." She rolled her eyes at him. "I was hoping that I would meet a man with principles."

"Oh, believe me, I have principles. Otherwise I would throw you out of my office, with smart kick to your ass! I am sure my staff would enjoy the circus." He said bluntly. "Obviously, your presence in my office offered me respite from a busy, difficult day! In essence a comedy show for free! But enough! Entertainment over."