Part 24

Her office, and her original home, was at the front of the strip, and the land beside the property had well established buildings. Which fortunately affected access. Anyone who bought the strip would have to demolished buildings on the land on the side, or seek permission from her to go through her land to reach the property. It might explain why it was so cheap. Someone would have to factor in costs: negotiate to get access to the land. In her case, there was no negotiation, as the road went through her property. She lived at the back of her business building, but if she moved out, the kitchen and storage could be extended, and she could have her home close to the water and could walk to her office and the kitchen.

The old dilapidated square building was an issue at the start, she had to make a decision, either demolish the concrete building or renovate it. She opted for the renovation option. With guidance from a friend, who was an architect she opted for simple approach: dividing walls put into the building to create two bedrooms, a small snug-office, one bathroom, a small dining area, and a kitchen attached to a huge lounge area. The L shape- lounge and kitchen and two bedrooms had floor to ceiling glass fronts that looked out onto the water. The main bedroom had an ensuite, and another bedroom was at the end of the corridor. The snug/office and the main bedroom shared a wall. Across from the bedroom, was a snug/office's and its wall was shared with the bathroom. Between the bathroom and the dining room was the entrance and hallway. At the opposite end, was the L-shaped kitchen and lounge. The bathroom and the snug faced the bedrooms. The ensuite, the snug, the bathroom, dining room and one side of the kitchen faced the driveway. Both bedrooms and the lounge side of the L-shape kitchen –lounge all had glass from the ceiling to the floor. The front door kept the kitchen and dining room on one side of the entry hallway, and the snug and bathroom on the other side. The snug and bathroom's doors faced the bedrooms doors in the corridor, similarly with the kitchen and dining room and the lounge. Simple plans. The outside walls remained, but she insulated all walls, including the new interior walls, for heat and sound. She stripped the building and re-plumbed and renewed the electric wires. The biggest cost was removing the original the small windows facing the water, demolishing the concrete wall and installing glass ceiling to floor glass windows and doors that allowed her to walk out of the bedrooms and lounge onto a deck facing the water. The deck was only recently varnished. She loved it. Jena was really happy in her home. It was a perfect bolt-hole for her. She was now thinking about the drive. There was no garden, and she was considering options. Raised beds or just invest in huge pots and plant flowers and vegetables.

"Here?" Melanie did her best to hide her frustration. "You want me to invite Caleb? To come here, for dinner?" That was the last thing Melanie was expecting. Why would she want Caleb to spend time here? When they could be out painting the town red, living up to his lifestyle? "I, er, I think that would be unfair to you."

In any case, Jena's home was not exactly the height of taste. It was an old converted water-front concrete building. A square box where the outside was somewhat softened with some recent plants, and the inside hosted stunning, iconic furniture. Melanie was pretty sure that Caleb would hate this. Even the driveway was not sealed. A gravel road with potholes. Her original home was sandwiched between two industry sites at the side, and if you navigate the gravel road, you reached a square concrete box. An industry site, with nothing to recommend it. Melanie was sure it was nothing like Caleb's home.

"Unfair to me?"
"Yes, that is unfair to you. You have plans with your friends. We would impose if I invite Caleb to your dinner party."

"I see." She watched Melanie's reaction. It was pretty obvious Melanie was not keen on the idea or her home. There more she thought about Melanie's character, she realized she assumed Melanie would share Tony's values and attitude. Unfortunately, Melanie's façade was an illusion. She was not placid or shy. Jena was pretty sure that Melanie had absolutely no intention of bringing Caleb to her home for dinner. But that didn't mean that Jena had to make it easy for her. "I'd planned a dinner party. Just a few friends. And of course, you, as you are staying with me. So adding just one, Mr Harland, would not be an imposition. So you can invite Mr Harland." Jena pasted a smile on her face. "Just an idea." Her sardonic drawl did nothing to hide the humour lacing the words.