Part 103

Two days later, Caleb knocked on Jena's front door. No answer. He rapped again. Nothing. He was pretty sure she was at home, given her kitchen's lights were on, and he could hear the faint sound of music, so he assumed she had not heard the bell ring. So he rapped on the window. Loudly he rapped again.

He peered through the kitchen window could see the door to the deck, was open, clearly she was at home.

He looked around, saw that the house was practically attached to the factory boundary fence on either of the house with just one feet separated the house and the fence boundary. That small gap had a stubby bush, a recently planted bush and it was at knee level. No doubt it would grown to ensure that it sealed the gap.

He braced, one hand on her house wall, and the fence, he peered over the bush and saw Jena curled on the deck furniture, with music from the radio, a glass on the table beside her chair.

She glanced at the fence, and saw Caleb's head. Typical. Why was he here? And she really was not ready for this encounter. The weather reflected her mood. Grey and cold. "You do know I have a front door." She stated with sarcasm as she watched him clambered over the fence at the narrow gap between her house and the fence boundary.

He ignored the music and said, "Yes, and I am pretty sure you heard your bell. And ignored it." He scaled the fence, and jumped to his feet. He nearly smiled. What was he doing, climbing a rickety fence and vaulted over a stumpy, squat plant.

"Yes, I did." She was on the deck, using the lull of the waves to soothe her mood. She was dressed for the cold, and was using wine as an antidote to the grey. Her feet were encased in wool socks, her legs were sheathed in baggy jogger pants and an oversized woolly jumper. She was sitting on the deck, with her knees raised, while she sipped her white wine. There were times when she wished her house had a moat!

"And what?" He simply stepped over the bush and he came closer. "Couldn't be bothered?" He came closer, brushing at his trousers, knowing he would need a dry cleaner to remove the 'rust' stains he got from her fence which were currently on his trousers' legs.

"Yes. Obviously! Anything else?" She asked him bluntly, when he stepped onto the deck. "Why are you here, Mr Harland?" She took a sip of her wine. She could really do without this. She was thinking about how she was going to manage this recent debacle, and that was before he turned up here. Almost as if she had summoned him, to discuss the situation, because the current debacle was about him!

"Mr Harland? You called me Caleb ..."

"Consider it a lapse." She took another sip, as if she was at a small party, making polite conversation. "Anything else, Mr Harland?" She gestured at the fence, "And if that is it, please," she feigned a smile, "I would appreciate it if you leave via the same route! Or if you prefer, you know the way out via my kitchen to the front door."

Caleb poked his tongue into his cheek, and took a moment. Grumpy? Or cross? A combination, he thought.

"Mr Harland, you are encroaching on my time out!" She said with a broad, false smile.

He narrowed his eyes. "God, you can be really frustrating."

"Good to hear that." She took another sip. At least she had not yell at him, but it was close call. She avoided people this week, because of this man. And she was not keen to deal with him at the moment. She knew she would need a plan, given his sister was working with her, so she knew she would run into him, at some point. But today, was not that point! "Close the door on the your way out, Mr Harland! Or vault over the shrub at the gap. Alternative, you can swim!" Nodded at the water.

"And bloody stubborn."

"I agree. Add, bloody annoyed. Bye!"

He ignored her orders. Instead, he took a chair. She glanced at him. "I don't remember asking you stay, let alone offering a chair, Mr Harland."

"We share traits." He muttered and took note of her attire. Clearly not expecting company, so perhaps she was upset that he saw her.

She said curtly. "Doubt it." She took a sip.

"What is wrong?" Caleb watched her eyes. It was hard to work out what exactly was going on. But this, her behaviour was out-of-character.

"Apart from being annoyed because an unexpected, unwanted guest has taken a seat, nothing." She gestured at her clothes, "As you can see, I am not dressed for company. So why are you here, Mr Harland?"

He took stock of her attire. "You look good to me!"

She rolled her eyes. If he thought he could butter her up, he was going to learn he was wrong.

Caleb continued, "Sophie..."

Jena shrugged and interrupted laconically, "I thought when we engaged your sister, you said you would cut off her apron ties to you!" She narrowed her eyes, she said pithily "That is what we agreed. Remember?"

"Yes...."

Jena interrupted him, and said tersely, "I did not sign up to deal with her brother every time Sophie has a problem. And not having to deal with her brother running the show at my company! In any case, don't you think your sister should take responsibility for her life?"

"Sophie..."

Jena continued to rant, "And in any case, if you want to make a complaint, go to my office, you know the address. So now sure why you jump the fence to my home."

Caleb settled back into the seat and murmured, "Bloody obstinate." He considered his options. "I am not here to make a complaint, Jena." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I am not here to make a complaint on behalf of Sophie behalf... "

"Good." She snorted. She glanced at him, quirked an eyebrow and said succinctly, "Please leave!"

He ignored her order. If she thinks she can just order him around, just because she is grumpy or annoyed, she is going to learn she is wrong. Still sitting, he turned around, and said crisply, "As I said, you are bloody stubborn!" Again he studied her, and he could see steam from her ears. She was clearly angry. But he also noted in her eyes, she was sad. Why? What happened? He narrowed his eyes and waited for her to response. "What is going on here, Jena? This is not normal for you." There was no spark in her eyes. Even when she came to his office, her eyes glinted. Now, not even the embers of the sparks, remained.

She said nothing.

There were times when she thought she should have developed a thick skin as a young child because it would help her as an adult in difficult situations. A shame she did not develop a decent poker-face, either in the childhood or her adult lifetime. The current debacle was due to people at the wedding who recognised she had feelings for Caleb. Not just called it, but thought she was chasing Caleb and was stalking him!

With no response from Jena, Caleb exhaled, "For goodness, Jena, Sophie is worried about you?" And now he was worried. Because this behaviour was not normal for Jena. Grumpy was not in her repertoire, but clearly she had found it.

She was not going to prolong this meeting. She said brusquely, "Please convey my thanks for her concern."