Part 93

About ten minutes later, Jena found courage and approached a group of six that included Caleb. She thought if she joined his group, she could eventually resurrect the conversation with Caleb.

And with a large group, they could talk and in due course she and Caleb could separate from the group and restart the original chat. That was the plan, in her mind. So, anticipated shaking hands, she rubbed her sweaty palms on her hip, preparing for her introduction to the group. She was nervous.

A couple in the group noted Jena's approach, and neither recognised Jena, but the men pasted smiles on their lips and welcomed Jena to the group.

Caleb turned his head and was surprised to find Jena at his side. And again that pang of jealousy reared it head. She was here. On her own. But in his head, he saw her and that stranger. And the fact she blew a kiss at that stranger. In public.

Jena ran her tongue over her lips and said, "Hi." And smiled at Caleb, but her smile wavered when she noted he ignored her and her smile.

Then, in a blink of an eye, they had both erected fences and shut down communication.  

The rest of the group stopped talking and looked at Jena. It took moments for Caleb and Jena to get their heartbeats and thoughts back to an almost normal, even keel. But when Caleb did not introduce her to the group, Jena found courage, fought down her embarrassment and said quietly, "Hi, I'm Jena, a friend of the Harland's family." Best not to single Caleb as a friend.

Her tone and voice registered, but it was enough to remind Caleb about his manners. "Sorry, I forgot my manners. Let me introduce people." So Caleb started, "Mark, Harry, Nicola, Iris Chloe," and he put his arm around Chloe and drew her closer to him, "everyone, this Jena. Jena Silva."

Again, Caleb's and Jena's  gazes met. Uncertainty and query in each other's eyes.

While Mark smiled, his brain dredged up her name. "Jena Silva, right?" Mark flicked Jena a speculative glance.

"Yes." Jena said registered the fact that Caleb had his arm around another woman.

Mark flicked a look at Caleb, expecting him to provide details. When Caleb did not, Mark returned his gaze to Jena, "Your name rings a bell." Mark said. Jena's fingers curled and her finger nails dug into her palm as she strove to remain self-assured.

"Actually, I think I saw Jena's name in print." Iris, like Mark, smiled. "I remember thinking, your name is very pretty. We are expecting a baby soon, so thought about put your name on our list!"

She wanted to thank Iris for the safety line but Jena felt compelled to say something about the topic. "Oh, thank you. And congratulations." Jena said with a smile. "When are you due?"

"We are expecting a girl in three months time." Iris caressed her tummy.

Mark said as he rubbed his jaw. "I have seen that name, Jena Silva, I just can't remember where I saw it." Bells rang in Jena brain. Her plan was implemented and she joined this particular group, and was now waiting for divine intervention to rescue her from this quandary. A quandary she had engineered. She knew what to expect next, and Mark did not disappoint, he asked, " J. E.N.A, that is your name?" As he tried to work out when and where he read about her.

She swore silently before she said, "Yes." Jena assumed they knew about her company.

Chloe's eyes went wide as she repeated, "Jena Silva?" As the penny dropped.

"Yes." She managed to croak.

"Yes, I saw your name in the paper." Chloe and flashed her friend a message. Nicola and Iris frowned, not understanding Chloe's message.

"Do you play sports?" Mark asked still trying to work out where they had read about her. "I'm sure, like Chloe, I have seen your name in print, but, I only read the sporting section. So you must be a sporting celebrity!" This was puzzling.

"Well, I do play sport, but not well enough to be in the sport sections." Jena said honestly. "And definitely not a celebrity."

"Mark," Chloe whispered, "Not the sport section exactly." Her eyes flashed and mocked a whisper saying loudly, "Involved a cricketer."  Mark threw a questioning look at his friend, Chloe. Her lips twitched. 

That is when Jena's alarm bells went off with a klaxon. And when the others registered Chloe's whisper they knew exactly what she was talking about. Jena could see Chloe's eyes were full of mischief.

To head them off, she said, "You might have seen my name. But might have been confused with someone else. I just make cakes."

He could see that Jena was trying very hard to conceal her humiliation So Caleb banked his jealousy and supported Jena, "You might have heard about her, and Sophie is working for her."

"Well, she is actually working for my company, By Design." Jena quietly and folded her arms across her chest.

"By Design, was started by Jena." Caleb told the others. Because he could see in Jena's eyes glimpses of mortification and alarm. And sadness. 

While the rest of the group acknowledged that with different comments, but they also wondered if the Jena Silva was the person cited by a husband who said she was having a affair with his wife.

Caleb's arm moved to Chloe's shoulder, and Chloe put her arm around Caleb, as she asked, "Do you live in this city, Jena?"

"Yes." Jena automatically nodded, but she was sure her head was not working, for what registered was the fact that Caleb had his arm around this woman. The world actually stopped. Including her heart. Then she noted she was still breathing, and could feel the crushed glass racing through her blood. She snapped out of her trance. She banked her frustration. Amazing how easily castles can be toppled. A few minutes earlier, she had persuaded her brain to drop her guard, and her heart found courage to approach him. But at that time, she thought he was interested in her. And now, he knew that was not the case. Obviously she had misunderstood the lunch situation between her and Caleb. Guess a date means different things for people.

"Have you moved here recently?"

You are an idiot, her heart reminded her. "No." She was not going to explain the situation. Her brain was spiralling out of control. She needed to find a way out of this predicament. She caught her lower lip between her teeth, and hoped it would remind her that she had misunderstood his offer. Her feelings, thoughts and emotions flooded her heart as her brain reviewed the moment just before Giselle interrupted them earlier tonight. Reviewing that moment in her head brought unexpected torture and agony while she watched Caleb and Chloe.

Silence.