Part 50

Jena took a breath, poked her tongue into her cheek, and pinned him with a frost glare. "If a cake is no longer needed we quite happily have down time!" She told him brusquely, not bothering with any tact. Well, at least now, her feelings for him were trounced by his attitude to her business acumen. She glared, "Our business model has been in operation since I started this venture." She folded her arms and banked her glare. She said, dryly, "It works for us. We provide a quality service and product. "

Caleb acknowledged that, "Clearly. As I said, I have read the reviews on the web." He reached for his mug and said as if he was describing a business venture, "But as a manager for a successful brand you would have strategies to increase capacity or reduce ..."

She folded her arm, and her tone reflected her exasperation and fury, "We know our capacity Mr Harland." She snapped. Then she closed her eyes and  held her hands up, signal to herself to take control of her own temper. She opened her eyes and said quietly, "We have no plans for an expansion." She licked her lips, and took a moment to find the right words before saying, "We have a good product, Mr Harland. We are recognized for that quality." Again, she raised her hand but this time to stop his interruption. "Our business model allows us to generate enough profits throughout the year for my team to have a decent standard in our personal life." She narrowed her eyes and told him as she was giving him a 101 course in business managing. "We know what we need, to ensure standards are kept high, and we know that when we deliver it shows quality. We do not need plans to increase capacity and we do not intend to change our, small,  boutique company or develop it into some mega-industry." She did her best not to shout, "And we certainly do not cut corners!" She was not happy with the fact that he thought she could cut corners to suit him. Caleb could see the fury in her eyes while her tone was tranquil.

His approach was hitting a wall. And his strategy was creating umbrage. He rifled through his charming-repertoire trying to find a new approach. He held up both hands, time for mea culpa, with a charming smile, "I apologise. I am not suggesting that you cut corners..."

Her tone became even more scornful. "Really? You believe, as a CEO, I would have strategies to increase capacity or reduce to suit your circumstances?" She remonstrated with heat, "Are you questioning my ability to manage my company?" She was struggling to hold onto her temper.

"No." He said with sincerity. Clearly he had stoked the fire. Now she looked furious.

Jena did not want to create a scene but she glowered. "We do not keep reserves in the wings in anticipation of a cancellation!" She ticked her thumb, "We do not have a team in the wings" She ticked her index finger, " or a reserve team waiting for your patronage." On a roll, she pointed at her middle finger and she told him with scorn, "My colleagues and I know what we are doing,", she pointed at her fourth finger, "and we share work ethics." She threw her hands in the hair and snapped, "Unlike some!" She pushed a invisible strand of her hair off her face.

Caleb said quietly, "I apologise..."

She shook her head, and headed off his interruption, "We are working full time. My management skills have brought my company to your sister's attention! Apparently, despite the fact there are lots of good bakers in Wellington who could make your sister's cake, you seem determined to have me, someone, you believe, does not know how to manage their business! And despite the fact my business is thriving!"

Caleb interjected. "I think you are overreacting..."

She interrupted, her fury escalated,  "Excuse me? Overreacting?" She couldn't keep the sting from her voice, "Are you saying, because I challenged your view about my company, you think I am making a big deal about my business model?" 

He looked at her in speculative inquiry. Passion reined in by control. There was a fascinating duality in her character and it ensnared him. But before he could answer her question, she continued.

She strived for an air of calmness, but her eyes were shooting sparks at him and her heart drumming with fury was so loudly, she was surprised he hadn't heard it. " Do you know how arrogant you sound? You believe my response to your request is a tad exaggerated because I do not succumb to your business model! I call that sheer arrogance." Her mouth held an exasperated slant.

Obviously his concept of softly-softly-approach fell on deaf ears. He could see the steam from her ears. So he sighed, "No. I am not saying that at all."

"Just in case you are tempted to review your business model in the near future, let me explain my business model. You might find it useful to you!" Her eyes flashed again. 

He remained quiet. Best to let her vent, he thought. In any case, he acknowledged he was teetering at the edge of the hole he had dug for himself.

Jena put her mug on the table, and looked at him, "We have a team of five: four produce and ices cakes, and one to handle administration. You have met Andrew. Our profit margins ensure that we can carry the loss of a cancellation, without being pressured to take on more than we can deliver and without any impact on our individual salary. If we operated your implied model and overbook with an expectation for cancellations, we would run ourselves into the ground, as our clients simply do not cancel!" She unfolded her arms, and bridged her fingers, anything to stop her fingers wrapping around his neck, and squeeze! She took a breath, time to rein in her fury. "My team is superb. Our work is brilliant." Her eyes eloquently conveyed her view. "The company is doing well. Because I treat my team well. They are happy. I am happy. And the company is thriving."

Time to concede, he said quietly, "I am sure they are..."

"I treat them well because our salaries are determined by us!" Although seething inwardly she presented a calm outer facade.

She had built her business up from scratch. Fitting in making and icing cakes between looking after her grandmother who suffered from dementia. For many years she had worked from home, living an almost hand to mouth existence as she cared for her grandmother and ensured they had enough of an income to live on. At the start, she worked as waitress between fulfilling orders for her cakes.

Her grandmother's house, that was now her business office's premise, was a two bedroom unit for many years. A unit that had housed her grandmother and her. When she started this venture, she baked from the kitchen, and supplied birthday cakes. When her grandmother died she took a job with a local bakery for two days and she took the plunge and started a new venture producing cakes for business events. When that took off, she employed Sally, and then six months later took on three people, including Andrew. Andrew dealt with the administration side of the business, when she and Sally could not meet the demands for their cakes!

"No adverts. We don't go looking for customers. We do not offer incentives. We have earned our reputation. My customers come to "By Design" because they know we deliver high quality, good services and products." 

His eyebrow quirked at that spiel. But he could see, from her eyes, that she was livid.  It was not his intention to undermine her credentials. But questioning her business acumen rankled, as  expected. Caleb rubbed the back of his neck, before moving his palm to rub his jawline. He thought he should leave and return later, and perhaps by then, she might have dissipated her anger. But he was not sure he would have another opportunity with her.