Part 90

The next day, Caleb dropped Sophie at work, and Isaac was due to meet Sophie after work, for a late lunch. Caleb had hoped to bump into Jena when he dropped by. But she was out.

And on every occasion that he phoned her at her office, she was out.

Andrew and Caleb were back within a fortnight. Jena kept Sophie on, suggesting that she deal with the reception side of things while Andrew dealt with the administration and accounts side of the business.

Now that Caleb was back in town, he tried her home number and her office. No luck. Either she had good radar, or she really was a very busy person.

But she could not avoid him, as Jena, like him were a guest at an engagement party.

She was talking to Sophie and Isaac when he and his parents approached her.

"Good evening Jena"

"Oh. Good evening." She smiled at Drew, Amanda and Caleb. As expected, butterflies fluttered in her stomach. 

"Was not expecting to see you here, Jena?" Caleb said but looked pointedly at her sister.

Both Jena and Sophie answered at the same time.

"Really. Out of my league?" Jena quirked an eyebrow, but her tone suggested she was teasing him.

"I didn't know she was going to be here, Caleb!" Sophie growled at her brother.

"No, Jena." His eyes matched the twinkle in her eyes. "I just expected my sister to tell her family that you would be here."

"Well, she would not know." Jena smiled at him and his pulse raced. He was surprised that he felt like a gawking, geeky adolescent preparing to ask a beautiful girl out.

"Exactly," Sophie huffed at her brother, "And, Caleb, my job does not involved me answering to you or spying for you!"

Amanda diverted the conversation, "I saw the cake, Jena. It is beautiful."

"Thank you." Her eyes moved from Caleb to Amanda, but again returned her gaze to Caleb. 

Chemistry oozed from Caleb and Jena. Amanda banked her elation. But kept her tone light, "Your design and recipe?"

"Sort of. " Modest she said, "The original design was tweaked by the couple and Mary."

"Catherine, Lizzy's mother said they were very pleased with it."

Jena knew that, because when the couple settled the bill, they had included a huge bonus.

"And she was very sad that your company was not available for the wedding cake."

"Yes, unfortunately, it seems to be a popular day, as we already had three booked for that day, and with summer holidays, Sally would be away with her kids, we really could not take another commission." Jena nodded.

"Oh. I see."

"We tend to attend when we deliver the cake, and stay long enough to check it is intact on the day, and Andrew, while being fab, he can't ice or fix it if needed on the day."

"So you are here to ensure the cake is intact?" Drew asked.

"No, they issued an invitation, ages ago, they asked the whole team, which is very kind. You do not know Matt, he is the one that does most of the icing, but you have met Andrew, and they are both here, with me. Sally and Mary have other things to do tonight."

"Well, they have missed a fab party!" Sophie announced. She grinned. "I am going to tell them about next week."

"Would you excuse us?" Amanda with a smile, and put her hand on her husband, "Drew, George has been signalling us for the last few minutes!"

Drew looked over his shoulder, and nodded, then turned around and said, "Do excuse us, Jena. Enjoy the party."

"You too."

That left Caleb, Sophie and Isaac with Jena.

For a few seconds, Caleb and Jena just stared at each other.

Sophie flashed a message in her eyes to Isaac and said, "Time to refresh my drink, Isaac?"

Isaac quirked a brown.

"Jena, another drink?" Sophie asked.

She shook her head, lifted her nearly full glass of wine. "No thanks." Jena smiled.

"Caleb?"

"No, I am fine. Thanks."

"We will be back, soon!" Sophie grabbed Isaac's hand and all but dragged him away.

"My family does not have the subtle gene." Caleb said with irony. He then looked over at Jena, "Not sure I have told you, you look beautiful."

She blinked. Simple understated elegance, was what she was looking for, she knew she could not match the couture on display here, given most of the people, well, women here, were moving in a different social strata. It never occur to her that anyone who see it as beautiful. Just elegance. She could mingle with the group. Not look out of place.

But his compliment was a shock to her system. She had thought she was prepared for this meeting. For a second there was pin drop silence as she tried to work out whether to just thank him or challenge him.

Caleb grinned. "I am not sure why it has taken me till tonight to notice the way in which you carry yourself? Pure class."

She looked him straight in the eyes. And frowned, "Are you drunk?"

He hooted. "No, Jena!" He smiled, " You screamed class and poise. You cannot buy that." He looked at her and said again, "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." And she wondered if she should summoned help.

Caleb glanced over his shoulder and did a quick scan of the area to see if anyone was close enough to listen to their conversation. He moved closer. "So, Jena, are you avoiding me?"

She automatically reared back, asked, "When?" Not for the first time, she noted her heart was racing.

"I have left various messages for you, at your office, your home." Caleb smiled.

"er.."

"And you have not returned my call, so are you avoiding me? Or have you forgot our date?"

"Not a real date. Of course not." She blew out a breath and said as if she was simply talking to herself. She could see that Caleb's position ensured some measure of privacy for this conversation.

His eyes flashed with humour and made the word a question. "You forgot?"

"Well, sort of." She murmured.

He chuckled. "You really are a poor poker player! And delighted to see that you are very poor at lying." He leaned over and just gently tapped her nose!

She snorted and moved away. The jolt of awareness that raced along her veins when the tip of his index finger touched her nose was not something that she wanted to think about. When was a nose an erogenous zone?

"So, sort of?" Caleb prompted, and he watched emotions flit through her eyes.

"I am not deliberately avoiding you! And I did not forget the lunch date thing." She tipped her chin up, her eyes went cool. Took another step back. Not good. She was blocked in.

"Avoiding but not deliberately?" Once again he burst out laughing and once again a few turned to look in their direction. Conscious about that, he moved closer.

"Well, ok, sort of. I am avoiding you. But can you back away?"

Caleb frowned, "Why?"

"Because you are squashing!" She folded her arms, hoping that would help her composure if he did not back away.

But he did move back, "But I meant, why?" He chuckled again. "Why are you avoiding me?" His chuckle was replaced by grumble under his breath.

"I assume you were phoning to discuss the lunch date." Her hearts hammered.

He grinned at her. "You know, I really like you, Jena. Love your attitude. Love your honesty. Love your strength. Love your confidence. " His smile widened when he watched her eyes. And he added, "And, yes, I was trying to arrange the date, and I am here to discuss the date."