Part 22

Jena rubbed her forehead. Obviously the headacheshe had stored was resurfacing

Melanie nodded at the phone, "That was Caleb. He asked me out to dinner, on Friday. A second date." She twirled around. "I can't believe it. He is really fab."
Jena said with barely concealed sarcasm, "I guess he missed crucial tourist spots! Did he miss his place? Or saved it for the second date?"

"I guess." Melanie shrugged. It did not matter. "Anyway, we are going out on Friday. He has meetings at the moment and is away from the town for the next few days, otherwise he would take me out right now!" She smiled and sighed. "He said he is returning on Thursday and would like to take me out on Friday. Not sure if he went to his place or another fab restaurant."

Jena had seriously misjudged him. "I see." She said with a small smile. She wondered if he had told Melanie about her visit to his office today. And if he did, he certainly did not tell Melanie that he thought Jena offered to replace her on their date. For a second, Jena considered telling her about her recent visit to him.

"We had so much more to talk about." She stated with more than a sigh of bliss. "We really clicked. No awful silences. We talked. And we barely scrapped the barrel. We have so much in common. I am sure our chat on Friday will be equally wonderful."

"And you will tell him about Tony ..."

Melanie interrupted, "Tony? Tony and I are just friends." With her fingers crossed behind her bank, she added, "Like Caleb." Not for long she thought as plans surfaced in her mind. But best to keep Tony in the wings, just in case things went pear-shape. "You know Caleb is just showing me around. We had a great time, yesterday, because we had so much in common."

"Really?" Jena caught her lips between her teeth to stop her from screeching at Melanie.

"Yes. It felt like we knew each other for ages. Like good friends. Just like Tony. That is why I accepted Caleb's invitation. He is so similar to Tony." Jena nearly snorted. Melanie continued, "Caleb is wonderful, he is just helping me to enjoy my trip"

Yes, I bet, Jena muttered beneath her breath. Melanie wondered about Jena's frown but continued, "That is ok, isn't it? Tony left me here with you, and I know you are busy, and luckily Caleb has time, so he can show me around."

Only if you are a piranha, Jena whispered in her brain.

Melanie's brain was working on her Friday date: she would need to get her hair done professionally. Will need a new dress and shoes. At least she has four days to find something suitable. "I hope you haven't made any plans for me, have you?" That was the trouble with having a sweet, kind, easy-going disposition, Melanie thought, because people figured they could manage her. But most people failed to see the spine of steel beneath the veneer of sweetness, usually to their detriment. In any case, if Jena made plans, Melanie knew she could persuade Jena to change her plans, or even better, to toss them away. 

Jena thought quickly and wondered whether it was even worth the effort. It was pretty obvious that Melanie had her sights firmly set on Caleb. Jena banked her thoughts: Tony's radar was really poor given he was considering Melanie as a long-term partner. To make matters worse, given Caleb had invited Melanie out again, it was equally obvious that Caleb was deviating from his usual pattern: dating supermodels. Which once again brought Jena round to the question of why?

Melanie frowned when Jena had not replied to her questions. "Jena?"

Jena blinked. "Yes, sorry. You were asking me about..."

"I asked if you have plans for us, on Friday?

Jena nodded. "Erm, sorry Melanie, actually, yes, kind of."

"Oh?" Melanie frowned, pretended to be worried and said quietly as if she hadn't meant to cause any difficulty. Her lips formed a pout of dismay, "Oh dear. I guess double booking." Melanie feigned concern, "I accepted his invitation. I didn't think you had plans for Friday. It would be churlish to refuse his invitation, now that I have accepted it...." She left her statement stranded and just shrugged.

She really got her wrong, Jena thought as she sifted through Melanie's performance. Jena looked at Melanie, plastered a phoney smile on her lips and said, "Sorry about that. I meant to tell you, but I think our paths have not merged recently." Her smile grew, and was pleased to see that Melanie was worried. Jena said with insincere interest, "Did he tell you where?"

"No. He said he would surprise me!" Melanie sighed. "I am so lucky."

"Of course." Jena's insincerity increased. She shrugged her shoulders as she suggested with little sincerity, "How about a compromise." 

Melanie all but shrieked, "A compromise?"