Part 100

This time, Caleb broke the silence. "Did you enjoy the party on Friday?" Somewhat innocuous question he thought, but it was prelude to the real question. He knew he would have regrets if he did not broach this elephant in the room. For a businessman, who had dealt with difficult situations, or dealing with complex matters, this matter was destroying his self-control and was smothering his equanimity.

"Yes." Well, until you latched to Chloe, whispered through her heart. "Did you have a good time?" She watched his eyes, and wondered about the question she saw in his eyes.

"Yes." He paused. Thought about rephrasing his question. Or just ask her about that mystery man.

Conversation was stifled by concerns and unvoiced feelings. And dodging the elephant in the room was difficult.

"Yes, I thought you were having a great time." Now why did she say that, she remonstrated with herself.

He narrowed his eyes at her sarcasm. He tipped his head and said , "Yes, a great time. Good to have time to talk to friends." Jena banked her scowled, a friend who latched onto you, like a limpet, she said silently. She smothered her retort. Caleb asked, "Do you know lots of people at the party?"

Her eyes flashed with irritation, "No. Just you and your family. And of course the people you introduced to me." She scowled at him, "As you, and your friends, know, we were only invited because we supplied the cake." She jammed her hands in her pocket, "As your friend said, unusual for a contractor to be invited. Your friend's approach was interesting." She could not help the vitriolic in her statements or the sarcasm.

Caleb ignored her barbs. "Which reminds me, I meant to tell you to ignore Giselle antics! She and Sophie always squabble, about everything, since they were placed in the same carry-cot! I know Giselle left you in a pickle, re the summer jobs with the twins.  She was just throwing her weight around!"

Jena feigned a smiled. "Don't worry." The squabble about the twins was forgotten, but the conversation with his friends was not overlooked. Especially the fact he gave the impression he was at the party with Chloe. Jena sighed. Why did he flirt with her when he was there with another woman?

Silence.

Again, Jena broke the silence, "Obviously you knew people, like Nicola, Iris, and sorry I have forgotten the name of the other woman." Which was not true. The woman and her name were imprinted on her brain. And she hated the fact Chloe's image, with her draped on Caleb, would surface in her mind at odd moments. Like when Jena was brushing her teeth, she saw Chloe's smirk in her bathroom mirror. And Jena was not happy that Caleb had flirted with her when he was at the party with Chloe.

"Chloe." Caleb narrowed his eyes.

"Oh yes. Chloe. And, Mark and Harry, I think." Jena said, "Your friends seem nice." Apart from one, she tacked on silently.

"They are."Caleb said and took notes when he saw Jena's eyes flash. "I guess you had concerns when they were asking about that cricketer, his wife and her affair. Apparently my friends had reviewed the article because he was playing and so it was fresh in their minds." He announced as if they were just discussing the sport in that newspaper.

"Yes. I know." She was tempted to tell him his friends were rude, well, just one in particular, and even that was because she was jealous.

"And they assumed the article referred to you." He watched Jena and saw the bubbling fury in her eyes. She was definitely angry. So he quickly confirmed, " It was just a mistake. They mixed up the names. Well, actually they just thought it was the same person, you and the woman in the article. After all it had your name, well, Jena." He added when Jena's eyes flashed again. "They just made a mistake, that's all."

That did not alleviate Jena, but she nodded. "Like lots of people." She huffed.

"Look, Jena, I explained to them, that there was a typo in the article. I explained that the wife's lover was called Jean not Jena."  Caleb was pleased to seethat Jena's eyes showed surprise and satisfaction.

"You did?" She blinked in surprise . "When?"

"After you left. And told them your full name. Told them about your company, and your reputation in the bakery area, especially with cakes. Making astonishing wedding cakes, or anniversary cakes or anything worth celebrating!"

"Thank you." She was surprise to learn that he had stood up for her.

Caleb said, "I am sure they would have apologised if you remained at the party. But you left" Time to move this conversation, and broach the real topic. "Did you decide to leave because of that?" Again he attempted to resurrect the elephant in the room. Time to approach the elephant from a different direction. " That they were asking about that? Did you leave because of them?"

"Them?"

"Yes, my friends, Chloe, Mark and the rest?"

"No." Jena said honestly. I left because you were with another woman, she said silently.

Again, Caleb registered she was back to sad, her eyes reflected gloomy. It was more than that, he thought, but was not sure why she was so miserable. Perhaps she had to leave the party, he wondered. "But you didn't stay long. I saw a man collecting your jacket, and he gave it to you, so I assumed you both left the party."

"Yes, we did."

"Because you didn't like the party or because you did not know people there? Or did not like the conversation with my friends?"

She shook her head and contrived a smile, "It was my weekend on duty."

That might explain why she left that stranger at the restaurant at breakfast.

"I see."

Silence.

Jena said, "It was just a busy weekend." Mainly for Matt to learn the ropes and how to do it without support from the team. "But I did manage to have breakfast in town, which I have not done for ages."

He pretended he did not know. "Oh, where?"

Jena maintained her insincere smile, "Do you know Inspiration? On Marion st? It normally caters for weddings and things, but they offer breakfast and lunch if not booked out for a wedding reception."

"I see."

Silence.

Jena questioned, "Anyway, er, I think you said you have a lunch meeting?"

"Yes."

"Well, I should not hold you up."

He looked at his watch. Yes, he was cutting it fine.

"And, as your sister will tell you, we are busy at the moment."

He watched her eyes, and said quietly, storing memories of her image, "I will arrange delivery of wine."

"You do not have to do that, Mr Harland."

"I thought we agreed it would cancels the debt."

Debt? She thought they were friends. Where developing a relationship. Clearly she had misunderstood their interaction, their previous conversations, their collegiality. Albeit in her mind and heart it was more than collegiality. She sounded despondent when she said quietly, "There is no debt."

"Yes, there is." He took a long look at her, and nearly leaned closer, as his heart instructed him to kiss her. But his mind took control. "Have a good afternoon, Jena."

"Thanks. You too."

Caleb walked to his car, and Jena watched him, her heart was at her feet.

Caleb reversed out of the car park, and he watched her from his rear mirror.

She remained there for minutes. For some reason, her world was now in a spin. With her lip caught between her lips she took the two steps to the front door, and took a deep breath. Her strategy unravelled.

"Sophie, I am going to work from home. Can you let Mary and Sally?"

"Ok." Sophie frowned. "Are you ok?"

"Yes. Just a headache." She went to her office, picked up her bag, and her sweater and a few minutes later left the office.