Chapter 1 - Close Encounters with the Smartest Kind

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

"Ughhh..." You groan, hitting the snooze button on your alarm clock, before forcing yourself out of your glorious duvet cave into the bitter, morning air. The cold bit at your every part of your body, and you were heavily tempted to go back to bed. I mean, who'd even notice if you weren't at school. Your family sure wouldn't, and you had no friends, so what was the point..

"No!", You shout at yourself, "The day hasn't even begun and you're being a negative Nancy!"

You'd made a vow to yourself at the start of the year that unless you were deathly sick, you'd go to class. Mostly because your attendance last year had been so atrocious you'd nearly been completely excluded from the school, but that's by the by. You were still doing well in school, you just preferred to study at home. That way, you weren't harassed, bothered or bored during lunches and breaks. You dreaded those.

Already feeling a little defeated, you opened your wardrobe and picked your outfit for the day. Nothing too special, it was only school after all, but it still suited you well. As usual, you didn't bother getting breakfast, you'd just eat at break instead. 

Soon enough, it was time to leave for school, and as always, you walked down the stairs, and shouted, "I'm off!" to the house. And, as always, you received no reply, just the meager echo of your shout calling back at you. That's okay, someday somebody'll call back.

Groggily, you dragged your fatigued body down the street, having a hard time lugging your heavy backpack. Regardless, you soon arrived at school, a wondrous place of education! Not.

You arrived to homeroom as normal, sat at the back on your own with your earbuds in watching your favourite YouTuber's new video. During that same time, you checked your class schedule for the day. 

Friday:
P1 - Chemistry
P2 - English
P3 - Maths
P4 - French
P5 - PE

"Of course it's chemistry.." You muttered to yourself, slightly disappointed. That earned a confused glance from your classmate in front of you, them wondering who you were talking to, but they soon turned back around and ignored you once again, thankfully.

RIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG....

And there it was, the bell for first period. You followed the crowd that spilled out of your homeroom until you reached your chemistry class. Mindlessly, you strolled in and sat in your regular seat, the stool to the back left of the classroom, one seat away from the window.

You could never really stand chemistry. Not to say you hated it, nor were you bad at it, it just wasn't any fun for you. However, there was one simple upside to the class. And there she was, on time as always, arriving a mere few seconds after you. 

She greeted you with the same slightly awkward smile she always had done. Everyday of the year, she had made an effort to smile at you. It warmed your heart every time, even if it was something so insignificant to most. Her name was Alex Dunphy, you'd heard it when the teacher had called roll. She had a nice name.

However, the teacher today announced something you dreaded, something you had nightmares about. Group projects.. 

Unlike usual, he didn't pair anyone up specifically, just said they had to work with whoever they were sat with to create an experiment of some sorts. 

"Uhh, hi! I'm Alex Dunphy, what's your name..?" She turned to you.
"I-Uh-It's Y/N L/N! Nice to meet you, Alex." You managed to get your words out, though stumbling over them a little.
"I guess we're working on the project together then..?" She replied, smiling at you.
"Yeah, I guess so, haha.." You nodded, laughing awkwardly.
"So, whose house do you wanna work on it at?" She questioned.
"I don't mind.." You answered.
"We'll do it at mine then, my dad's got a load of supplies." She reasoned.
"Oh, okay, sweet. What time?" You asked.
"Uhh, does tonight at 5pm work for you?" She replied with a question.
"Yeah, 'course." You agreed.
"Cool beans," She said, doing finger-guns at you, "Sorry that was dorky."
"Nahh, I thought it was funny. Here's my number by the way, text me your address, if you wanna do that.." You handed her a sheet of paper with your name on it.
"Oh, okay. Anyways, I'll text you my address.." She took the paper from you.

The class soon ended, and you went your separate ways, until lunch..

Alex Dunphy x Fem!Reader - What is normal?On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara