Chapter 3 - The Beginning

That Friday evening, just as you had both agreed, you went over to the Dunphy's house. A little nervous at first, you lingered on their doorstep, before eventually giving in and knocking. You heard a kerfuffle inside and a little shouting, before a young boy opened the door. He had curly, brown hair, and was a little shorter than you. You didn't get much of a look at him anyway since he was soon shoved out of the way, followed by a cry of, "move dork!", from whom you soon realised was Alex.

Seeing the two siblings argue was weirdly funny to you, and you couldn't help but let out a laugh.
"Hey, Y/N! Sorry about him." Alex smiled at you, and opened the door as the boy walked upstairs.
"Don't worry about it, he seemed nice enough." You laughed awkwardly.
"Yeah, I guess, he's my brother, Luke." She introduced him.
"Oh, cool." You nodded.
"Sooo, you wanna brainstorm ideas or..?" She suggested.
"Yeah, brainstorming sounds good." You quickly agreed.
"Cool, follow me." She grabbed your hand and led you through to the kitchen table, where she'd already set up notebooks for you both and supplies. You both hastily got to brainstorming!

However, it wasn't long before the conversation derailed into random school drama you'd both heard about, most people not even noticing either of your presences' to keep such information from you. You also chatted about books, general life, whatever came to mind.

"Godd, I will never understand how someone as smart as you, someone who can have detailed discussions on books and life, can also love such stupid hypothetical questions!" Alex mused.
"Like you don't also wanna know who'd win in a fight between a centaur and 3 eagles." You rolled your eyes.
"Okay, you got me there. Still.." She nodded, defeated, and chuckled.
"It's simply the duality of man." You said in the same mocking, posh voice you'd done earlier that day at lunch, sporting a hamlet-esque, dramatic pose to boot.

This sent Alex into a laughing fit, and in turn, you absolutely lost it too.

"What are you two nerds laughing at now?" Hayley questioned
"Nothing." Alex responded.
"Whatever. I'm just surprised your friend isn't imaginary this time." Haley mocked.
"Hayley! Shut up!" Alex retorted.
"Weren't you supposed to be doing a school project anyway? It's 9pm now." Haley changed the subject.
"Oopsie.." You muttered under your breath.
"Y/N! You distracted me!" Alex exclaimed, joking.
"Me?! You were just as bad!" You argued back, crossing your arms, laughing.
Just then, a tall-ish, blonde woman entered the kitchen.
"Alex, when's your friend going home? Or is she staying for a sleepover? I'm Claire, by the way, Alex's mom." She asked, and introduced herself.
"Oh-Uh, I don't know.." Alex looked over at you.
"Ooooh smarty-pants doesn't know everything!" Haley joked, laughing to herself.
"Shut up Hayley!" Alex shouted across the kitchen.
"You can just stay over if you want, I'll just need to speak to your parents." Claire sighed, and turned to you.
"Uhh, yeah, they're on a business trip right now, but here's their number." You nodded, and gave her the phone number.

Claire picked up the home phone and dialled your mom's mobile. She explained it all to your mom, but was soon off the phone.

"You're fine to stay over. I'll set up the blow up mattress upstairs next to Alex's bed, that okay?" She turned to you and asked.
"Yeah, thank you so much Mrs Dunphy!" You smiled, grateful.
"It's alright, and call me Claire." Her expression softened, and she smiled back.
"Hey! Dylan doesn't get to call you that and he's known you way longer!" Haley argued.
"Dylan's a boy." Claire replied, deadpan.
"So!?" Haley shouted back.
Haley and Claire continued to argue as they went up the stairs, whilst you and Alex went back to chatting for a little while.

Soon enough, Claire came back downstairs, still followed by an argumentative Haley, whom she was ignoring.

"Bed's set up, you should go up to bed now girls, it's getting late." She said, sighing as Haley continued to argue her, clearly very important, point.

You both complied, and you trailed up the stairs after Alex.