Chapter 8 - Exhibit A

E/N - Ex's name

Today, you and Alex had decided to go to a science museum. You didn't care all that much for it, but she'd always wanted to go, so you even agreed to drive too. Plus you didn't trust her to drive you both there safely, as much as you loved her, even you had to admit she was an awful driver.

The drive there took a little longer than expected, around 2 hours, but even then, you didn't mind. The two of you just talked about everything and nothing. Any time spent with her, was time well spent, you thought. 

You parked up, and lifted your heavy-feeling body out of the car, stretching your stiff bones and groaning. Alex basically flew out of the car, grabbing your hand and dragging you to the entrance, leaving you about 3 seconds to lock the car, which you luckily managed. 
"Come onnn, Y/N, move quicker! I wanna get in there!" She whined.
"Aright, alright, I'm cominggg.." You replied.

The two of you spent the majority of the morning looking at the exhibits. You mostly enjoyed the interactive ones, that were technically meant for kids, whilst she enjoyed the actual scientific content.
"Ooooh, Y/N, come here! This exhibit is so cool!" She shouted to you, across the room.
Just as you began walking over to her, you spot her ex-boyfriend. 

Alex had, had a number of exes over the years, but your least favourite had to be him. She was way too good for him, and he was a jackass. The two of you had never gotten along.

"Hey, Dunphy." He greeted her, glaring daggers at you.
"Hm? Oh. E/N.." She mumbled, looking at the floor.
"The one and only." He laughed.
You stayed quiet, not feeling the need to join in, until he began insulting her for being here, calling her a number of unrepeatable things. 
"Oh, shut up, E/N! You're such an asshole!" You shouted, and pushed him.
"Ooooh, here comes your little girlfriend!" He mocked you, as he had done during the time when he and Alex were together.
You'd hated him from the second you'd met him, and all that resentment and jealousy had pent up over the years, coming out in a heavy swing at his face.
"Shit! What the hell?! You just punched me!" He shouted, quickly walking away, that quick walk soon turning into a jog, then a sprint, until he was out of sight.

Silence fell in the room, neither of you knew what to say.
"I'm sorry, Alex.." You muttered, looking at the exhibit she had wanted to show you.
"No, it's okay. Well, no, it's not, it's illegal. But, I appreciated the sentiment. I always sorta wanted somebody to stick up for me, fight for me, like that, y'know..?" She smiled awkwardly at you and laughed a little.
"Yeah, I get that." You smiled back at her, as she reached out and held your hand.
"Y'know something else, Y/N?" She turned to face you.
"What do I know?" You asked, turning to face her too, your eyes now connecting.
"I really like you.." She squeezed your hand, "You're the best friend a girl could ask for."

A/N - This is more of a little one-shot than anything that I was tempted to remove but tbh I think it helps the story flow somewhat so I figured I'd leave it in lmao (even if it certainly isn't my best work lol)